Thread: Highway run ?

fire1022a
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Highway run ?

Our crew has a responce on the local highway and we find that if we trun off our lights and sirens traffic actualy seems to move more efficienlty. How do you feel about it? and do you know any legal issues we should keep in mind? We don't exceed any speed limits and we out run our siren anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

I say way to go!!! If it works for you, why not? I also like only using rear warning lights on highway scene's. This reduces the rubbernecking in the oncoming lanes. A dept. that one EVOC instructor I've had, who is a retired state police driving instructor, his dept. uses all yellow on the NYS thruway, and on some calls they shut down all their lights and use 4 way flashers. They have also used with success, not blocking the scene with an apparatus, but parking it ahead, and using a chiefs vehicle, and traffic cones. They have done this since approx. 1980 and haven't had an incident yet. So there are many different types of ideas that work for different people. Good luck!! And don't worry someone will find fault with it.

============================================
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

How do you feel about it?

I think you've found a good solution.

ALSfirefighter

his dept. uses all yellow on the NYS thruway

American Heat did a pretty good program on the yellow lights, may have been your boy from the state police. Seems red lights draws drunks and sleepy heads right into the back of the apparatus...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

Someone mentioned parking the trucks in front of the accident as opposed to using the trucks to blocking oncoming traffic... Not sure how willing I would be to do this - I like the idea of having a 19 ton truck between me and a car cruising at 65 mph.

- Turk II

AMEN Turk....I want the truck protecting me from the oncoming traffic.

One thing to remember in regards to using partial emergency lights while still enroute to a call...does your state code of law spell out what you have to have running in order to be an emergency vehicle? If not you could be putting yourself in a situation where a lawsuit and criminal charges could be brought in case of an accident. Also, covering the four way flashers...on some of the older apparatus I have dealt with in the past when the four way flashers are on it cuts out the directional signals...so if you switch lanes and hit someone you are at fault.

Forum Member

The idea that you can outrun your siren isnt true. The siren speaker is mounted to the vehicle if the vehicle is going 65 mph then the sound that comes out of it is also doing that plus its original speed of 1100 fps. What you are doing is reducing peoples reaction time by going faster, also you are reducing the sound pressure level due to the increased velocity of the wind but out running it? Nope. In regards to 4 way flashers being used. There have been lawsuits that have been lost because someone was using four ways and couldnt signal for a turn.

Forum Member

Originally posted by eyecue:
    <STRONG>The idea that you can outrun your siren isnt true. The siren speaker is mounted to the vehicle if the vehicle is going 65 mph then the sound that comes out of it is also doing that plus its original speed of 1100 fps. What you are doing is reducing peoples reaction time by going faster, also you are reducing the sound pressure level due to the increased velocity of the wind but out running it.</STRONG>
    Might want to check your high school physics book again (or maybe your EVOC Training Guide...)

Although it is true that speed is in relationship to the ground, this only applies to physical objects and not sound waves.

Unforuntately the doppler effect changes the frequency and wavelength of a siren so it IS possible (and very easy) to out run your siren.

According to a study performed by a ESIP company, when a vehicle is traveling at 60 mph on a straight highway, a 100 watt siren can only be heard six feet in front of the speaker.

- Turk II

MembersZone Subscriber

Turk,

My EVOC instructor also had pictures of a truck that was hit in the rear and it moved some astronomical amount. So that alone shouldn't replace awareness. I also mis-quoted somewhat, so I apologize . What is stated in his manual he uses for the course is: The vehicle closest to on comning traffic stops several hundred feet prior to the scene, activates 4 way flashers, and displays rear-facing lights, amber on left, red on right. Other Emer. Vehicles shut off all lights and park in safe positions on scene. This includes the state police and sheriffs dept. Also the utilization of cones to make traffic go where you want it to is also recommended. Studies have shown amber lights reduce accidents. The dept. that uses this used results from tests conducted by the California Highway Patrol, Illinois S.P., NYSP, NY DOT, and US DOT.

As far as the siren goes. Studies have shown you can out run your siren at speeds above 40 Mph. Add this to our sound proof cars, heaters/AC, the six speakers all cars come with, cell phones, etc.

Finally, the NYC FD also did some tests and found that the "wail" mode was the most effective siren for being heard. With a E.V. travelling 5mph upon an intersection, the wail was heard at 227 ft, the yelp at 188 ft., and the "roll type" at 25 ft. (this was without the forward sound projecting equip.) They contributed the wail being effective due to the frequency range it cycles through.

Just thought I'd share some info. ;D

==========================================
    The above is my thoughts/opinions only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Thread Information