Default Best AUTOMATIC Nozzle

IYHO what is the best AUTOMATIC (pressure regulating) nozzle on the market. I do not want to hear the relative merits of smoothbore, vindicator, constant gallonage, or selectable gallonage nozzles. We've covered them elsewhere.

We use the Elkhart SM-30s and are pretty pleased. They flow up to 325gpm and can be bought in both the 2.5" and 1.5" couplings. Low pressures versions are also available.

Is it the best? I don't know but fires go out just the same with these as with our MA departments TFTs and Akrons.

I do like the idea of the slide type valve in the TFT and their dual pressure settings, but haven't had enough experience with them to comment on them.

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

I will also cast my vote for Elkhart Select-O-Matics. Been using them for years with good results. I especially like the SM-20FG we have on our 200' 1 3/4" preconnects and the easy 1 to 1 pressure/flow ratio. For flows between 100 and 200 GPM, whatever engine pressure you pump at, you get a corresponding GPM flow. Example pump at 150 psi, get 150 GPM, pump at 200 psi, get 200 GPM. Can't get any easier than that.

Forum Member

At the dept. I work at we have TFT nozzles and are very happy. I think it is a H-VPGI I know it flows 50-350gpm on 150' of 1.75" hose.

Double_Local
    I would absolutly cast my vote for the SM series from Elkhart. I have found them to be the most reliable based on field testing hundreds of automatics.
    Kirk Allen
    First Strike Technologies, Inc

WHILE I HAVE NEVER USED NEITHER THE ELKHARTS OR THE AKRON AUTOMATICS, I REALLY LIKE TFT AUTOMATICS. WE HAVE THE 10-125GPM NOZZLES ON REDLINE, 50-350GPM 1.5"INLET ON 1.75" CROSSLAYS, AND 1250GPM ON THE DECK GUN. WE HAVE HAD THEM FOR SIX YEARS NOW AND HAVE BEEN TOTALLY TROUBLE FREE. FEATURES I LIKE ABOUT THEM ARE: NO SPINNING TEETH TO BREAK OR ACTUALLY STOP SPINNING WHICH REALLY BREAKS UP THE FOG PATTERN. AND THE SLIDE VALVE WHICH ALLOWS THE NOZZLEMAN TO DECREASE THE GALLONAGE BY GATING THE NOZZLE DOWN WITHOUT ADVERSE AFFECTS TO THE STREAM PATTERN. NOZZLES WITH BALL SHUTOFF VALVES YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE BALE OPEN AT LEAST HALFWAY TO MAINTAIN A GOOD PATTERN.

LIKE I SAID I HAVE NEVER USED THE OTHER BRANDS OF AUTOMATICS, SO MY OPINION IS BASED SOLELY ON TFT AUTOS VS CONSTANT OR SELECTABLE GALLONAGE NOZZLES.
    Jeff Canada
    Firefighter/EMT
    Engine Co. 671
    Sanger, Texas

MembersZone Subscriber

Our TFT's make great wheel chocks, the Elkharts are too streamilned and won't hold the rig.
    I prefer the vindicator, a smooth bore, or a fixed gallonage nozzle any day over an automatic.

Thread Information