MembersZone Subscriber

Question Department issued Driver's License

My department would like to initiate a program for issuing "driver's licenses" for our Apparatus Operators/Engineers.

Any input from departments that use this format would be greatly appreciated.

dobsonjs@ci.anchorage.ak.us

Thank you
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

The deparment I work for has a set policy for qualifying all apparatus drivers. Each type of vehicle; engine, truck, rescue squad and ambulance; has specific training requirements that must be met. All drivers must have a class B or higher state drivers license if they are to drive heavy apparatus, that is a state law. All drivers must also pass a EVOC course. Engine drivers must have a pump operators class, truck drivers need aerial apparatus operators course and rescue drivers need practical rescue. There is a written test that is given for each apparatus that tests knowledge of the vehicle mechanical specs and the apparatus operation. Each driver trainee is assigned a preceptor that will work with them to prepare them for the practical test. The practical test given by the training academy. After you pass both tests, you must run 5 emergency calls with another driver to be passed completly. The process can take about 4-6 months to be completed. I believe the policy follows the NFPA standards for apparatus operator training, but I am not positive about that.<br />Morgan Boyd<br />Montgomery County, MD DFRS

Thread Information