Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recruit school

CHEMRESCUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Recruit school

My department has been using a 21 week Basic Recruit School for all new hires. I have come to the conclusion that this is no longer a "Basic" school. I am interested in moving to a shorter format and actually focusing on the basics. Is anyone out there using a shorter format for Recruit Training? If so, I would be interested in the details.

FGFD43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I have recently set up a "basic" program for any new volunteers at our station. I posted a topic on this forum last year(don't know if you would be able to find it), and received a lot of good ideas. I ended up having 6 classes: Dept. Orientation, Safety, Fire Behavior, Tools & Apparatus, Fire Incidents, and EMS Incidents. These classes cover enough of the basics to give a newbie enough info to know how our department operates and allows them to contribute on an incident scene. This does not train them for interior attack or driving and pumping but just gives them a start so that they don't end up standing around at a scene with nothing to do and getting discouraged and quitting before they get a chance to be thoroughly trained. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

CHEMRESCUE,

Westchester County, NY, "Career Firefighters Academy," runs approx. 11-13 weeks. Which covers the basics from fire attack, pump ops, basic rescue, hazmat etc. You can get contact information by going to WWW.Westchestergov.Com, and clicking under "Emergency Services." I'm sure they would be more than glad to help you with any questions you have.

LisbonTrainingOfficr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Maine Fire Training & Education.
    Ten days all basic.
    Search Maine fire training fot thier site.

Thread Information