HVFD32
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question A training Quizz

Ok all
    With a fall in the number of structure fires (due to good fire prevention) And not in an urban area, does a rural volunteer department need to train more or less?

My opinion is that the more we train, the better we will act when the tone goes off.

Send me your answers

Perry

------------------
    Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way!

FGFD43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I think some good replys to someone who thinks training is not needed by some depts. as much as others would be:

When your neighbors house catches fire, does he care if his is the 10th house that week or the first house that month?

When will your next "big one" be?

or How much training do you need per firecall?

I'm with you. You never know until the end of the year how many firecalls you will have that year and you next one could be like nothing you've seen before. Good Luck

------------------
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

HVFD32
    Firehouse.com Guest

When is the time to say enough already? Do the few members who want to train do just that?

What do you think?

------------------
    Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way!

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

There really isn't a better experience than the "hands-on" at actual fires - so I truly believe that those of us with few calls need to practice LOTS more!! It just becomes more of a challenge for the T.O. to keep them motivated!!

------------------
    God is our Fire Chief;
    Jesus is our Incident Commander.

farshwn
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe there are only two ways to become good at what we do and to do it safely. They are: 1. Running the calls. and 2. Training.
    It is a proven fact that in a time of crisis,we will revert back to training. None of us have an excuse not to be prepared.

Respectfully,
    Corey

firefighterxtrem
    Firehouse.com Guest

i am very glad to hear that your number of house fires have dropped. that is a good thing. now let me ask you a qeustion? have you ever heard of the old saying that if you dont use it you lose it? since you are not fighting that many house fires dont mean that you dont have to keep your skills sharp.

AXE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good question, however one that shouldnt even need to be asked in my opinion.
    It is my belief that there is ALWAYS room for improvement. I join with another reply that with the descrease in fires all the more reason to train that much MORE.

Yes we still need to train. Those who feel they "know it already and dont need train anymore" are DANGEROUS!

Deputy Dog Dashwood
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!!!!
    NEVER LET UP OR LET YOUR GRAURD DOWN!!
    FYT FYR FOREVER

responder_442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I AGREE. TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING. WE ARE A SMALL VOLUNTEER DEPT AND ALSO HAVE AN AVERAGE OF 3-5 STRUCTURE FIRE CALLS A YEAR. BUT THE PRACTICE BURNS WE DO KEEP YOU AWARE OF THE DANGERS OF THE STRUCTURE FIRES AND THE PERSONALITY THAT FIRES HAVE. POSSIBLE YOU CAN GET TOGETHER WITH A NEIGHBORING DEPT AND GET PRACTICE BURNS WITH MUTUAL AID. THATS WHAT WE DO.
    GOOD LUCK

Thread Information