FF Mike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Shift Training Instructors

Looking for information from any department that utilizes training instructors working a 24/48 schedule. There job responsibilities, where are they stationed when not training, there assignments when the day is over, etc. Is it more or less effective than a complete 40 hour training staff.
    I work for a department with approx. 270 combat personnel.

------------------

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am an instructor for my department and I work 24/48.
    I get paid an ancillary rate to develop lesson plans, set up, and teach classes. During actual drills I am pulled off of the rig that I'm on that day (depending on the days manning) if I can't be pulled off the rig then I'm a floater. If a company goes out I move to a rig that is staying back.

I don't feel that this is the best way to do things. I'm often pressed for time to complete drills. (prep and presentation) I could do a better job if I were in the office from 9 to 5. I'm glad I'm still on shift, I like being on the front lines, but like I said I could do a better job if not on shift.

An advantage of being on shift is that I'm still fighting fires, doing rope rescues, extricating pts, etc. Those experiences can be passed on in classes and drills. If their are problems that I note on the fireground I can develop drills to help with whatever. I don't know if I would ever find out about the little problems if I were 9 to 5.

Hope that helps

Thread Information