MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help on making training more fun

I am the Training Officer for my department and am constantly looking for new ways to teach to make it more fun and interesting. I have learned that if you make it fun, you learn totally by accident.

What I'm looking for is any thoughts, ideas, complaints, comments or anything you can pass on about past trainings you have had that you liked or learned a lot from. I want to incorporate these ideas into my training.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

email: dickeydo@ecol.net
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The first thing that comes to mind is not exactly what you've asked for, but it could help anyway.

Eliminate the biggest roadblocks to good training. What or should I say who are they?

1. The FF who's too good to train. This person stands around, critiques everyone elses work yet does nothing. This is a real shot to the morale of those who put in an effort. When you see these people, assign them a task, if they don't do it and still fail to participate ask them to leave. This FF may also be known as 'The FF who's earned his/her red/white helmet and doesn't have to do anything anymore' or 'The FF who has seen/done/invented it all'.

2. The 'It's My Way or it's Wrong FF'. This dude/dudette knows everything, and there is only one way to do it so no suggestions please! He/she may be a student or instructor but cannot be swayed from that wonderful tunnel they are in. This person needs to branch out and be a follower some nights...and suck it up when it goes a different way.

3. The 'I have a comment for everything FF'. This person has something to say about everything and it's usually negative. They are never happy and thrive in environments where they can make others as miserable as they are. They are generally condescending and rude - wonderful for PR - if they are heading up recruiting you may have found the problem...Clip their wings!

I have added quite a bit of sarcasm, but I'm sure you get the point.. No matter how wonderful your program, when these guys come to play it ruins everyone's experience.

Just my 2 cents...
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

IACOJ Agitator

Gee...we've had all three of these...at least we were able to strong arm the 2 #2's we had out of the FD. Actually, one left and the other retired.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know first hand what your talking about. We have the same thing going on in my dept. One of the Captians is the "#2 personality" and used to be the training officer. I've always been the ***'t training officer but now since he got in some hot water about things so now I'm the man. But that's another story.

Thanks for the input, it's all good.

Dickey
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

In our department, we have a few "#2's". But, as always, I have ways of dealing with that! Try to be polite the first time you correct them, then be a little stiffer the second. The third time, ask them to leave.

As far as training ideas, make the drills as realistic as you possibly can. For example, how many times do we do extrication training with the car sitting on all 4 wheels in the middle of a field or parking lot? And how many wrecks do we find like this? Flip the cars over and involve obstacles, such as ditches, utility poles, other vehicles, and many other things. Your imagination is the only limit!

Also, when you do a drill such as firefighter search training, put the guys (or gals) in FULL GEAR! This means bunker pants, coat, helmet, hood, gloves, and SCBA. Make them realize how tough it is to move someone when you have full gear on. Also, employ some different scenarios. Do various drills to save trapped firefighters.

Most of all, keep the ideas fresh. Don't do the same drills week after week. Put your ideas in a notebook and pull a different one out each time you train. It may surprise you how many members you have show up to find out what you have next!

Good luck! If you have any good ideas, feel free to share them!
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

Thread Information