Default AFFF Foam Hazardous?

I got wind recently that AFFF foam is soon to be banned by the Feds because of environmental hazards. Use of AFFF foam for training or firefighting will be prohibited and in fact a FD in Conn. has already gotten in trouble for using AFFF at a drill.

Can anyone confirm or dispel either of these "reports" of AFFF being deemed hazardous?

Coincidentally, a nearby Reserve base is "giving away" 55 gal. drums of AFFF to local FDs !.
    Safe firefighting begins with training......Be safe....Train

IACOJ Agitator

Well, from what I have heard from instructors from the Hartford County Regional Fire School is that we are supposed to contact the DEP when we use foam during training.

As far as departments getting into trouble, the only ones I know of got in trouble because their foam concentrate leaked into some waterways/ponds and killed "endangered" fish and stuff like that.

Funny thing is, the "endangered" fish that were killed in one incident were supposedly not found anywhere else in CT. Guess what...a few months later, they found a whole messload in a different part of the state!

Default AFFF

You may need to check the manufacturer on this issue. Before I retired from USMC as ARFF Crash Chief at Quantico, VA we had the same scenario develop. Could not use AFFF for training, per Navy regs we had to test the trucks daily for a system check. But we could only do foam once a week in a specified area. As far as firefighting goes, after the fire was over we were suppossed to handle the clean up as a hazmat, dike and dam. Don't dare let the stuff get into the river. It would kill all the little fishies. It doesnt matter that the river was already polluted. Our EPA at work.
    They do make evironmentally safe training foam, it cost more. But who could aford to put a truck out of service just for training. Then what happens when during training the real thing happens.
    There are my thoughts on this issue.
    edb

My thouhts and only mine!

District Chief

edb is correct..it may depend on the manufacturer. I dont think National has that problem.

Contact jimcott@aol.com He is a foam representative and I am sure will be glad to answer your questions.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FIGJAM

Edb is correct. Check with the manufacturer.

3M recently underwent some major changes in the manufacture and marketing of their range of AFFF and ARF foams.

Considering the expense of foam, why not use training foam, which I understand is a fraction of the cost and is environmentally friendly? (3M make a 1 litre bottle of concentrate that makes up around 20 litres of foam mix for training through inductors, etc.)
    Luke

District Chief

Default 3m???

It is my understanding that 3M no longer makes foam for suppression and vapor control. They make make training foam but I am not aware of it.

jimcott@aol.com is a noted foam expert and can provide you with many answers in a very short period of time. Be prepared...he is a wealth of information.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information