Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cheap home made drill props

Has anyone seen any good drill props that were built by your own members? I am looking for some good drill props that are within the $500 range for materials. Best if their are plans not just this is what we did.

Burn to learns are the best place for new guys to learn and for experienced to hone their skills with ventilation, forcible entry, saving out own. But they are becoming fewer and far between.

Forum Member

Try contacting your local builder supply store. They may be able to donate damaged materials or even donate new materials for training props. Good Forcible entry props include door frame assemblies and different lock mechanisms.

If you want to practice firefighter rescue, such as a RIC prop, you can build a small section of a wall with 2x4 studs and 2 sheets of sheetrock. Build the wall 8' long and 4' tall, with the studs placed 16" on center, just like in a house. This will give you 5 or 6 good points to access through. You will have about $50 or less in the whole prop, depending on what you can get donated. Make sure you build braces on either end and maybe in the middle to keep the wall from falling over. The different sections can be broken into by several crews during the drill. When the drill is complete, just replace the 2 sheets of sheetrock on either side and it is ready to go again!

You can also use several of these to build a maze for firefighters to do SCBA drills. Your imagination is the only limit!
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

Well, a couple of our guys made a steel forcible entry door a while back. No clue how much it cost.

You can find ideas of stuff to make in the back of the IFSTA Fire Instructor manual (well, at least in the 5th addition).
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Another RIT training prop is to build a 3'x3'x8' box open at each end. After it is built, drill holes randomly along both sides. Through the holes string different size wire that is used in construction, (12-2 wire, coax, wire to hold up false ceiling, etc...). You should be able to look down the box and figure no firefighter will actually make it through without getting caught on the wires. The Drill is to have them self extricate or "send" someone in to help them. Of course this is done in a limited visibility enviroment.
    Train like you mean it. You just might one day.

Thread Information