Chief Bum
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Volunteer to Paid Fire Department

Currently chief of a 40 plus member VFD that has an average response of 600 Fire calls and anticipated response of 800 Medical calls, total together of 1400.
    We are looking to start some form of a combination FD in the next fiscal year. Would appreciate any ideas and experiences that you have had because I know alot of you have been there and done that.
    Thank you in advance for any asistance in advance.
    JCB Jr.

pjm
    Firehouse.com Guest

CHIEF,
    IS THE PROBLEM MORE ON THE EMS SIDE COMPARED TO THE FIRE SIDE?
    WE RUN A FULL SERVICE ALL VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT FIRE RESCUE AND EMS .WE DONT RUN AS MANY CALLS AS YOU ABOUT 300 FIRE AND 650 TO 700 AMBULANCE CALLS PER YEAR. OUR FIRE DEPARTMENT HAS NO PROBLEM GETTING OUT 24/7/365. BUT THE AMBULANCE OH BOY! WE HAVE BEN KICKING AROUND THE IDEA OF SPLITTING THEM AND COMING UP WITH SOME KIND OF PAID PER CALL SYSTEM.WE FEEL WE COULD PROVIDE A BETTER SERVICE 24/7/365 BY BILLING PATIENTS INSURANCE AND PAYING MEMBERS.
    OUR YEARLY BUDJET IS 375,000.00 AND FRANKLY THE TOWN CAN NOT AFFORD ANYMORE.

ALSO HAVE YOU CONSIDERED MERGING WITH A NEIGHBORING DEPARTMENT?

STAY LOW STAY SAFE

[This message has been edited by pjm (edited August 11, 1999).]

docjwt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief, I'm not sure if I can answer your question but I can tell you that my dept. has been dealing with simular issues as yours for a couple of years now. Presently we (the officer corps) are in the process of "redesigning" our dept to make the jump to either a combination (full time-on call) dept or a paid per call dept.

Any inforamtion out there on this topic would be of great intrest to me and my dept as well. I would be interested to hear of others experiences in this area as well.

------------------
    James "Doc" Tarpley
    Lieutenant/FF/EMT
    North Tooele County FD

AFFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

About three years age I started working for a volunteer ambulace and rescue squad in southern Pa. At the time the squad was seperate from the fire company. When I first starting to work there there was around 30 active people. I was able to volunteer with the fire company becausa of them being seperate. Then at the end of last year manpower got real low and the two companies decided to merge back together to be able to fill all the offices needed to be filled. The executive side of the companies seemed to be the only thing that has merged together the operations side still have seperate officers. I do not think that this is working to well. At this time the deparment officers have been fighting and you can feel the tension in the department. we have two paid people between 0700-1600 hours. We lack the manpower to get all our rigs out the door no matter what time of day it is. We have 2 engines,2 ambulances, a squad, a brush truck, and a dive team. the two chief officers fight for control. The president is the a police officer for the local twp. and tries to put things in such as rule and regulations that the twp. Pd. uses. the Vice President works at the National Fire Acadamy as the second man in charge of the Acadamy. This man is my boss and is still in the past on the way things are done. If you miss three of scheduled bingos a year you get tossed from the department. We are now down to around 15 people running calls and working everything else. The question is what do we do? We would rather not put more paid personnel on for ems or fire but we have to and can not afford it. I am worried about the community help please.

thanks

AFFF

------------------

Thread Information