Thread: Recuitment

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Recuitment

The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

For anyone in New Jersey in reference to Fire Districts/Board of Fire Commissioners

What would be your opinion of Fire Commissioners telling a fire company that certain former volunteers would not be issued district gear if accepted as members?

Could this be discrimination?

Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I'm not From NJ but if it makes a difference. . . It depends on what the volunteer members job task is. If they are expected to perform fire ground operations then not providing them with proper protective gear would be considered negligent. Not to mention violating a couple of OSHA regulations. As far as discrimination I'm not sure that qualifies, EEOC dosn't say anything about equipment issues I think that's strictly OSHA. If the volunteers in question are not expected to perform fire ground activities then there would be no reason to issue them gear. Keep in mind that any activity on a fire ground, even taking pictures, is considered a fire ground activity and therefore subject to the OSHA standard. By the way is NJ an OSHA state or an NFPA state. If it is an NFPA state you may have a stronger case.

-------------------------
    Alex C.

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

Capez.

In this situation would you feel that the fire commsioners influenced a decision before one was made. I think if the person was approved for membership the FC would have no choice but to issue gear.

By the way the person in questions has more training and certifications on paper 75 & of the current members.

[This message has been edited by D.SCHWER (edited June 15, 2000).]

Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

well. If the statement was made prior to any application being recieved I would have to say yes they did pre-empt the application. That would constitute an EEOC violation under discriminatory behavior. After all it is illegal to "Black Ball" any one.

Thread Information