firebox1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post should the training off

I hope some one can help me out on this one we just added three new volunteer's to our department. The question I have is should the training officer have a say on who should get hired and give thier thoughts to the chief and the other officer's. please let me know

------------------

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes, the training officer should have a say on who gets hired, or even is allowed to joing a volunteer dept.

Good training officers develop a sense about people and are able to determine through basic conversation whether a person is open or not to new things, to learning from others and sharing personal experiences and knowledge.

If a person is determined to not be open to all this, they have no place in any department. The ablility to learn, adapt and grow as a firefighter, EMS caregiver etc. is vital to their safety and the safety of your people, let alone the folks you set out to help.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Captain - Forsyth Rescue
    North Carolina Strike Force 1

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think it is mandatory. We are in the process of bringing on some new volunteers. We received 45 applications and ran 23 through our combat challenge. The volunteer training officer saw the comabat challenge, and developed the 3 year training program they will go through. He also sat through one night of interviews with the prospectic rookies. His input regarding the final say would be important, but not the final word. He has been on the dept. for 18 years and I respect his input. We usually do a pretty good job of weeding out those that apply in our interview process. I've been on the interview committee for 5 years. You get a feel for who's not going to fit, who's going to be gung ho, and who is going to be a pain in the butt.

FF26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

bob1350, WOW 45 applicants what's your secret ??? was this the result of a special recruitment drive ???? please tell all....

jsmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a training officer, support the idea of being involved. Currently new volunteer members are brought on through a review by a small group of officers. Then we must are expected to mold them. Some just want the recognition and don't want to do the work. Don't think this was adequately explained.

Should they have the final say - probably not. That is why we are the Indians and there are Chiefs. Think some of this has to relate to management style. Some departments like believe working as a team is more productive than a dictatorship.

jsmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a training officer, support the idea of being involved. Currently new volunteer members are brought on through a review by a small group of officers. Then we must are expected to mold them. Some just want the recognition and don't want to do the work. Don't think this was adequately explained.

Should they have the final say - probably not. That is why we are the Indians and there are Chiefs. Think some of this has to relate to management style. Some departments like believe working as a team is more productive than a dictatorship.

Thread Information