afd2620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Interview questions

We are currently looking at revising the questions we use to interview prospective volunteer firefighters. These questions will have to be approved by the Human Resources Manager for the city before we use them. Please post some of the questions you use in your interviews or send them to afd2620@firehousemail.com

Thanks

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

In my explorer post we ask questions like what do you wish to achieve as a member and why are you joining, where do you see yourself 5 years from now, 10 years from now, things like that.

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

SFDE12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We ask every potential member a series of about ten questions, some of tem include as follows.
    Why do you want to be a firefighter?
    How long have you lived in town?
    How dose your family feel about you becoming a firefighter?
    Do you have any of the following, fire service experience, medical training, or a CDL or 2Q License?
    Do you have any known fear of confined spaces, or hights?
    We also explain the training requirements, drill requirements, and what is expected of a member. If you want to know more let me know.

BFD182
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our interview is a little more free form, but some of the questions that usually come up are: Why do you want to be a Volunteer Firefighter?, Why did you choose this department ? (there are 5 VFD's in my city) What do you expect to gain from membership? and Do you understand that membership can and will put demands on you at odd times of the day and night? One other thing we have been doing for the past 2 years or so is requiring all new applicants to come and observe a drill so they can see first hand what our training is all about.

paulp
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been a vol for over 20 years. I've seen many come and go. Seems to be that most leave when personel problems arise rather than dedication to the service.
    ie full time job, marriage, children or political variables change.
    Simple Questions on motivation and the reason for being a vol are not going to identify future problems.

Here are a few more...

What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?

Give some examples of how you have resolved conflicts in your life?

Why should we hire you as a firefighter?

MembersZone Subscriber

These really mess them up.

What do you expect from the Fire Dept.?

What is your strongest/weakest point?

Ask these questions and you really get to see what type of person they really are.

If you want more let me know or drop me an E-mail. By the way, do you trade patches????

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    These really mess them up.

What do you expect from the Fire Dept.?

What is your strongest/weakest point?

Ask these questions and you really get to see what type of person they really are.

If you want more let me know or drop me an E-mail. By the way, do you trade patches????

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Training interview questions
    Tks again and pls keep posting.
    Last edited by jerryvn01; 08-02-2010 at 04:46 AM.

Forum Member

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

This link below can show more info, you can find them at: Safety director interview questions

Goodluck.
    Last edited by tua022012; 02-02-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Update

Forum Member

Hi,

I do not agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

MembersZone Subscriber

I have dozens posted on my site. You will not have any difficulty getting them through your HR department ans they have ALL been used by various fire departments throughout the country. They are there for anyone who wants them.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Questions

Paul.....Just to let you know I've had another sitdown with a candidate using your questions and he was hired last week. I gave a talk at the Fire House and he was very thankful for the help and what your books have done to help him. He is currently reading the "Aspiring Firefighters Two Year Plan". Thanks for all you have done for those who need your input.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay,
    Good for you giving back to this young man. It's a great feeling helping someone reach their dream and knowing that the fire department will be in good hands when we are gone. Strong work!!!
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Here are a couple.

1.) Tell me of a time when you were in charge of a group of people and a problem came up. How did you handle it?

2.) Diversity question.....How do you feel about working with __________? Fill in the blank

3.) Would there ever be a time you would treat someone of a different ethnic group or religion different? If so Why or why not?

4.) Here is a biggie. Tell me what you have done for your community?

Go down to the local fire station and see if the guys will give you a practice oral, Show up dress in a suit like it was the real thing...practice practice practice....

Ok..its over..they ask you is there anything you would like to add. This is the time to sell yourself and cover anything you missed.
    Last edited by Tail Board Trash; 09-15-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Forum Member

Oh forgot..when you show up for your practice orals..go to as many stations as you can. DONT FORGET TO BRING SOME ICE CREAM. its tradition. small way of saying thanks for your time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tail Board Trash View Post
    Oh forgot..when you show up for your practice orals..go to as many stations as you can. DONT FORGET TO BRING SOME ICE CREAM. its tradition. small way of saying thanks for your time.
    That's how I made Lt.

Forum Member

why you want to join us? this is my most frequent question..

Thread Information