Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Chaplain Requirements

Looking for any info on becoming a chaplain. What are the "requirements" if any. The biggest question is perhaps how do you "juggle" this with regular FD activities (I'm an active Lt. in a vollie unit), your "real" job (as if firefighting ISN'T real), family commitments, church, etc.

RevHoseJockey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings...

I am both a hose jockey and the dept. Chaplain. I was appointed as per the regulations of our constitution because i am a memeber of the clergy, having a degree in Theology.

I do not know what your deptments SOP's are in this area. I am assuming that your constitution, bylaws, etc.. will have come info. They may elect to have you join a state Chaplains organization like we have in NY that offers training, and other crucial help for chaplains.

I could offer some info on Getting some "true chaplaincy" in that may help you develop if you are interested.

Peace

Pastor Wayne Eells, Jr
    Firefighter, badge 24
    Dept Chaplain

firefytr
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is very important that your department has specific criteria for membership in the chaplaincy. We require training in grief counseling, CISD, graduate ordination and an active pastorship. The chaplains are familiar with a specific heirarchy, so we require that they be supervised by a chaplaincy coordinator (a line BC). They are required to ride-along with our units frequently in order to become familiar with personnel. The respond via page to some 2nd and all 3rd alarms or on request from the IC or dispatch. We have a coordinating chaplain who handles the scheduling of chaplains for each shift to insure that there is coverage at all time. He is required to notify our dispatch ctr. to insure that the coverage is known to them. He has a pager, turnouts, and a badge. The rest of the duty requirements are his or one of his counterparts. We are looking for at least three more chaplains to join our chaplain corp. The department also provides them with membership in a national association and periodic training in counseling, or CISD. They have been a great help for our department in the past. You can't help but love 'em. Let me know if you need any more info.

BC Andy Shapiro

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your posting and for all those that replied.
    Many denominations hyave specific requirements to be "ordained" as a Chaplain.
    As a lay Chaplain, I was appointed as my Chief felt I would be good for the job(long story).
    The Federation Of Fire Chaplains would be a good place to start(that's where I first found some great info).
    I am a retired Air Force firefighter so I have "Been there" and understand and know what members are facing and going through. My primary responsibilities are as Chaplain, but if need be I will man hoselines, work the jaws, etc, as needed to help as long as they do not interfere with my primary responsibilities. I do have my SOP's and more info posted on my web page www.alaska.net/CHAP.HTM
    As far as training, I attend department training when possible and have attended advanced classes on CISM/CISD.
    Please let me know if I can be o help.
    God Bless you as you serve.

Chaplain Jeff Turkel
    North Star VFD
    North Pole, Alaska

ResQRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

For more information on chaplaincy programs, you can contact the IAFC at www.emergency-world.com/chaplains/. They will be a great help to you.

[This message has been edited by ResQRev (edited December 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ResQRev (edited December 15, 1999).]

Thread Information