Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Creation of CISM/CISD Teams

We may have to start a new CISM/CISD team from the ground up - any suggestions?????? The team that is in place is burnt out.Please post here or e-mail me.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    God Bless you all as you serve.

Chaplain Jeff Turkel
    North Star VFD
    North Pole, Alaska

jim whitfield
    Firehouse.com Guest

The first question is how did the old team burn out? Lack of activity? Too much activity? We've got a team here, but (thankfully) haven't had to use them but on some very small events to date. I'd sure hate to see them do a nosedive even before they can be used.

On starting up a new team, we happened to be in the right place at the right time (read: had a bad event). A local minister who works with employees at the Mississippi State Prison (here in my county) was planning a CISM overview at the prison firehouse the day we had a pretty difficult rescue. So he just went ahead and did a short debriefing. From that experience, we looked at the bigger picture, and our county chiefs council decided a CISM Team would probably be a good thing........a CISM Coordinator was appointed; he attended regular FD meetings for about a month describing CISM and recruiting peer counselor volunteers from among the firefighters. Once a respectable number (20 or so) were put together, we started our training program, which is as you know not a one-shot deal, but a continuing program.

All said to say this - see if your folks really want one! If they're not interested in supporting a team, don't beat yourself over the head with it. If they do want to - get some volunteers for the team. We strictly wanted volunteers - no person compelled or ordered to be on the team would be a productive team member.

Let me know how it goes. If you want, email me and I can get you in touch with our CISM Coordinator and another team member via email.

------------------
    James A. Whitfield, Jr., MCEM
    Sunflower County Fire Coordinator
    Indianola, Missisippi
    (662) 887-6253
    jjwhit@deltaland.net
    Battalion 1 - The Pride of the South

ResQRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

You should contact www.icisf.org. They have wonderful materials that will enable you to start a CISM team. Jeff Mitchell came out with a book about 5 years ago entitled "CISM Teams" and takes you through the entire process of starting, maintaining and utilizing a CISM team.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

------------------
    Rev. John G. Fleischmann
    Director
    Suffolk Co. NY CISM Team

Thread Information