Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    NC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Hypochondria or stress?

I recently joined my local volunteer rescue company. I have found that after the late night/ early morning calls, when I wake up my stomach is in knots. Could it be stress from the call, or do you think it's just lack of sleep?

P.S. The first time that I noticed this was after a call for a woman that had had a miscarriage earlier in the day.

Pastor Dawn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Do you do anything, NC after a call? Even after "routine" calls, I usually sit and watch tv, or flip through the paper until my mind and body slow down. After a really bad call I spend the rest of the morning in prayer (unless another call interrupts ) but I usually do something to ease the adrenelin coursing through my body.

If you aren't doing anything, just for yourself after a call; I suggest doing so. You cannot and should not go right home to bed. Even if you, like myself, need to go to work in the morning; you really should take 15 or 20 minutes just to "chill".

Try it. I think you'll find that your stomach aches will go away.

Blessings to you !!
    Dawn

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes! It could definitely be stress. Congratulations on recognizing that you could be experiencing it. Admitting that you are having trouble dealing with some calls is the hard part. Now you need to find something to help you learn to deal with it.

Me--I take walks or play with my dog after a stressful shift.

Don't forget to let your family and friends help you. Often they want to, they just don't know how.

If you haven't already, try to curb your caffeine and alcohol intake after a difficult call.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thread Information