Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Red Cross response time

In our area, we have a difficult time getting the Red Cross to respond to any incident that isn't a big media event. We wait an average of 3+ hours for the Red Cross to arrive as scenes which is incredible since our city is where their regional office is located.

Do other departments have this same problem? If so, what solutions (if any) have you come up with to reduce the wait?

------------------
    Views expressed are my own and do not reflect those of the Department I serve.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our problem really occurs "after hours" It takes a while for our dispatcher to make contact with the Red Cross, then for them to find someone that is able to take the call.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our problem really occurs "after hours" It takes a while for our dispatcher to make contact with the Red Cross, then for them to find someone that is able to take the call.

Sunflower_FD_21
    Firehouse.com Guest

The West Delta Chapter of the American Red Cross, Greenville, MS works closely with the Sunflower County Fire Protection to provide for both fire victims and fire fighters. The Chapter supports our Rehab program with supplies. Two county fire officers have been trained by the Red Cross to provide on the spot vicitm assistance. Therefore the Red Cross is always "on the scene." This has proven beneficial for both fire victims and for our county fire service.

Sunflower_FD_21
    Firehouse.com Guest

The West Delta Chapter of the American Red Cross, Greenville, MS works closely with the Sunflower County Fire Protection to provide for both fire victims and fire fighters. The Chapter supports our Rehab program with supplies. Two county fire officers have been trained by the Red Cross to provide on the spot vicitm assistance. Therefore the Red Cross is always "on the scene." This has proven beneficial for both fire victims and for our county fire service.

Nate Marshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Red Cross is a volunteer organization. When they get a call, they have to assemble their resources, this means getting vouchers signed by highers so they can write checks for motels, food and clothes for victims, they also have to prepare rehab food for crews in some areas.

They would like to be on scene quicker and do the best they can.

DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Nate Marshall:
    ...When they get a call, they have to assemble their resources, this means getting vouchers signed by highers...

...They would like to be on scene quicker and do the best they can...
    Sorry Nate, but the paperwork isn't done in the office before the coordinator responds! The requests are done AFTER the person shows up and determines the needs. The problem is getting them to show up to determine needs and get the ball rolling.

It's baffles my mind that the Media Relations guy can show up within 30 minutes of notification, be out of his truck and giving interviews with every major station before even checking in with the FD to know what is going on. ALSO, he will do nothing to assist the victims. It takes 3+ hours for any REAL help to show.
    At one fire the victims had to wait 9 HOURS before the Red Cross showed up because the coordinator "didn't want to come out in the dark."

THAT IS ABSURD! If you volunteer to be a disaster response person, you should respond when called - not just when it's convenient. I would hate to see what would happen to a community with a volly FD that had the same attitude as the Red Cross responders in our area.

I do not believe (in this region) that, as you stated, "They would like to be on scene quicker and do the best they can".

I am not Anti-Red Cross. I used to be one of their instructors (not for this region), they have many excellent programs and their training saves lives. My concern is their lack of reasonable response within the city.

------------------
    Views expressed are my own and do not reflect those of the Department I serve.

[This message has been edited by DFDRev (edited 05-07-2001).]

C-12
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our region we are very fortunate to have good Red Cross response times. We have several large mill cities surround by bedroom communities. Our Red Cross is already pre planned to be request when we strike a second alarm. They are generally ther within 20 to 25 minutes. we are also very fortunate to have many dedictaed volunteers who serve our area. as a matter of fact due to the serve housing shortage here in the northeast the Red Cross has maintained a shelter since early March for victims of fires and our reent flooding. I could email you our regional Director conatct information and he may be of some help.

I await your response.

Fr. Jim Seymour
    Lawrence Fire Department
    Lawrence, MA

------------------
    C-12

"Somewhere-Everyday, We Fight For Life..."
    I.A.F.F. Memorial

Thread Information