Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone home

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Is anyone home

Terrorism is happening all over the world, but this site is very unused. Is there any dept out there doing terrorism training, and if so what are you doing.

Would you believe, that this is my first topic that I have posted. Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

fireemt03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

hey it just so happens that I am working on something right now i teach at the rolla votech look me up.

------------------
    Corey J. Molinelli NREMT
    Asst. Fire Chief

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have been doing awarness level training for about two years now. The city also recieved money from the FEDs to set up a Metropolitan Medical Responce Team (MMRT). This is a group of Paramedics, Hazmat techs, law enforcement personel, and MD's who will respond to a terrorist attack with weapons of mass distruction. The funding also covers the perchase of equiptment and medications to be used by the team. All of the Firefighter/Paramedics have had about 8 hrs of training, and preliminary protocals have been developed. The city just completed a Drill simulating the use of Sarin gas at a local sports arena. They had 300+ victims to deal with during the drill. I was out of town at the time and don't know how it went. The MMRT did not respond for this drill since it is the early stages of formation.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Larry, sounds like your dept and city are trying to be prepared for a emergency. I have one question who is in charge of your MMRT team. Do they only work on the people who were affected by the attack, and if so who is then in charge of taking care of the product that started it all. Take care and be safe.

Joe Decker
    Local 3905

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well from what I understand the firedepartment is doing most of the admin side, but it is run out of the office of emergency management. As far as dealing with the hazard it will be MMRT and firedepartment hazmat. The team itself is made up of medics, hazmat techs, and law enforcement so alot of the bases are covered. To be honest I'm not sure how it all will really work because we are so early in the program. I have only had the initial medic training and the who team hasn't gotten together yet.

dc45b
    Firehouse.com Guest

You can a book from the Department of Justice or the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Go to their web sites and have them send you this book. Emergency Response to Terrorism. They will send the book to you. Read it and do the test in the back and return the test to them for a certificate. Or they will send a instructor manual for you to teach others. In our county the fire department is the bomb squad. We have talks with them on a regular bases. With living so close to Washington, DC we are especially aware of any potential problems. Just be safe about it. Mike

hazmatchick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been involved in hazmat for ten years now and it still hasn't been recognized that terrorism and hazmat have to be done together. I probably am the only member of our team that has taken any initiative to get any training in WMD. We have training available to us through our state fire office but so far no one in our county has requested any for any of the local departments or teams. It is sad but true. My FD is small and our commissioners are not that young. So an terrorist incident probably won't happen here. Know what I mean
    Bonnie Belfance, Schenectady Co.Hazmat Team

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

hey bud< my city is only 10 miles from the largest port in florida that handles massive amounts of oil & gasoline. we have not had any training. i hear all the big cities are getting it? miami ,new york , LA ...
    i don't think 3/4's of the departments are prepared for any type of terrorism......

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks for all of the posts. pompanofd I hear you my town is with in 20 miles of one of the largest army post's in the country, Fort Leonard Wood, ( or as some call it fort lost in the wood) With all the stuff there and with what we have in our town we should have something but we dont and probley wont anytime soon. The big citys are getting there act to gether but what if it does happen and it is a major attack, and the local personal cant handel the problem or they are affected by the attack and are taken out of action, who is going to move up and help out. I know that it will take some time to train everyone on how to handle a terrorism attack but we are moving to slow.

What about all of the talk about the plans to attack the new years eve partys, where there could be thousands of people, are we ready. The word is that they are planing to attack all over the world, are they ready to deal with it.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

medic17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Y2K's just around the corner, and I'm kind of leery of what's going to happen on the 31st, especially after what's been in the news the past few days... I'm on for a 24 for New Year's eve. I took the basic concepts class a year ago, but nothing else has been offered around here beyond that. I guess if you ignore a problem it'll just go away. Right?

Steamer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I had an old Bat Chief warn me once that if you stick your head in the sand, you've got the other end in a perfect position to get it kicked. It has proven to be pretty sage advice.

------------------
    Steve Gallagher
    Chillicothe (Ohio) Fire Department

[This message has been edited by Steamer (edited December 23, 1999).]

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

medic17,steamer. You are right, everyone thinks that if we dont talk about it, it wont happen. They said that there will be 2 million people in time's square, how will they do there job if something does happen. My problem is how can we as a country keep people from getting into the country, there are places up north that have no guards only have a sign saying that you have entered the US. For me I will stay at home and hope that everyone is using there heads and they are nice.

Joe
    Local 3905

Rick Bond
    Firehouse.com Guest

Guy's you have struck a nerve. I live in a beach front community on the gulf with the Naval Diver Training/SEAL Training/ EOD Training School on one side and the Air Force Weapons Systems School on the other. The county as well as the cities in this area are so far behind in basic fire fighting they can't even spell terrorism. Like many other areas, if we don't speak about it maybe it won't happen to us.

------------------
    THESE THING WE DO SO OTHERS MAY LIVE!

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey Rick, That is what I was trying to do. Get people thinking about the problem, and the lack of education and training on the subject.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Joe
    Local 3905

OSFM 1213
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We provide training to fire and rescue personnel in our state. What topics would you want to see in a workshop, including hands on training, for terrorism. Give me some ideals for our next terrorism conference. Thanks!

------------------
    OSFM 1213

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

OSFM 1213. I have a couple of ideas.

It will depend on what kind of attack is used. If it is a gas attack like what was used in Japan, how do you tell what kind of gas is used. Who has the machine that will tell you what it is and how long will it take to get it to the scene. What do you do with the people untill you know what you are dealing with. How about a gas that takes some time to affect the person, is there such a gas and how meny are there and what kind of time are we talking about. If there is,can it be spread to other people, and how can it be stoped.

If its a bomb,we should know how to treat the most hurt people first, and make the scene safe for the emergency workers.

I think the thing that will hurt us the most is a chemical or bio attack. It would affect more people and it could take some time to find out what it is and how to fix the problem.

Joe
    Local 3905

Steamer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Explosives are probably our greatest risk, statistically speaking. So should there be an explosion, remember there may be another device located to take out the safety forces...@#&%, THAT'S US! I hesitated to bring up the secondary device issue, but I figured it's a pretty well known tractic by now. They have done this at a couple of abortion clinic bombings anyway. I think there was one in Alabama, and one in Georgia.
    I'm one of the instructors for the NFA Terrorism course through the Ohio Fire Academy, and my guys thought the whole terrorism thing was laughable until I held the course at my FD. Hmmm...not so funny when you see just how at risk we all are, and not from some radical Iraqi death squad either. We have enough of our home grown variety nuts to keep us busy.
    The bottom line is we have to take the time to look around, and think in terms of survival. Early recognition of potential points of cover could save your life. Look the scene over on explosion incidents. Don't park your vehicles or setup your command posts next to dumpsters or strange packages. Also, the explosion may have not been intended to cause property damage, but to disperse any of several types of agents...anything from etiologicals to radiologicals, and everything in between. All things to think about when you get there.
    The Terrorist Courses through the NFA are really pretty good. All of the things I mentioned, and more are discussed in the course. Check with your State training facilities for local availability. It could be well worth your time.

------------------
    Steve Gallagher
    Chillicothe (Ohio) Fire Department

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well said Steamer. You are right we have to be very carefull about the second device, what kind of a world we live in where the people who come to help are the ones being targeted.

Joe
    Local 3905

fireemt03
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

also remember that we in this area have another resourse the RAID team the national gaurd WMD team that is on ft wood ( one of 10 in the country).
    they have all kinds of monitoring equipment.I am sure that they would be willing to do somekind of training with your dept. they gave a class at the Spec. Ops. Symposium this year. also have you done any of the classes the university puts on? very good. also most of the Ha-mat classes now days are putting in something to do with terrorism ( like hazmat chick said it WILL be a haz-mat problem also)
    as far as initil monitoring there are some referance books out that will "HELP" in determining what agent was used alot will fall on the medical folks also.

stay safe.

------------------
    Corey J. Molinelli NREMT
    Asst. Fire Chief

dousaems
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well, we all got through the New Year without a major terrorist incident. I think many people were relieved, but as has been posted here, most departments outside of major metropolitan areas are not prepared. Sure, the big cities are good international targets, but who would have guessed the OK City incident? So with that in mind, here's some food for thought.
    You will be IT. Should this happen in your area, do not count on state or federal help for at least 4 hours, including RAID teams. This is a Haz-mat disaster. If such an incident is included in your planning, practice it. At your yearly MCI exercises, throw in some terrorist stuff, or a "chemical weapon" scenario. Makes life fun.
    There IS training out there that is available outside the 120 cities. I happen to work for a company that does this kind of training all over the nation. There may also be some training on the web soon. Keep your eyes peeled for that. If anyone is really interested, e-mail me, and I can at least give some ideas on the training.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and stayed safe.

------------------
    Todd Dousa
    NREMT-P, CCEMT-P

Thread Information