Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation HELP!!! College in trouble

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

I am a college student at Bloomsburg University. I also run with the Bloomsburg Fire Dept. Yesterday (23 Feb) we ran into the same problem that has plauged the university for a while. They had an emergency and tried to keep it internal. A bomb threat was called in to the university police. They evacuated the building. I was leaving another class room building and saw this happening. I asked the officer what was going on, he told me he did not know. (SOP for the university cops). I knew something was really wrong when they blocked off a 100 yard perimeter around the building. I went to the fire station, listened to police radio, A bomb threat. They upgraded it, called in state police, but never called for fire or EMS. A buddy and I took an engine up (driver training) and surveyed the scene. We were told they did not need us.
    Am I wrong, is not this a major situation? Possible Mass Casualty situation? This is a continuing situation on this campus. We had a fire last semester in a dorm and the Fire Dept was never notified. If anyone could give me some advice on how to present this problem (I'm currently talking to my officers also) to the administeration I would gladly apriciate it. I am in a good position to present this topic for I am part of the Student Government body also.

Thank you, and be safe.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bomb threats aren't a Fire Department issue.

First off, almost all are false and sending Fire & EMS only adds to the caller getting their jolleys.

Second, if the bomb goes off, are you safer on the scene or in your quarters?

Third, what are you going to save? The police have evacuated the building. The bomb squad should be able to retrieve their own. You now have a property only fire with a unique added component to discuss -- what's the probability of a secondary device? It's time to slow way down and really evaluate each step for the additional question, Did Someone Deliberately Do Something Here With The Intent Of Hurting Me?

If the police do find a device, I can see the Fire Department & EMS being asked to standby in quarters. I can see a single fire officer reporting to the command post as a liason officer.

I can see the liason offering to bring a single ambulance to the command post for standby/rehab bomb squad. I can also see him asking that the police check the area of particular hydrants so you have a good water source ready if the engines are needed.

Now, as for not notifying you of an actual fire -- if it was big enough to trip an alarm or get the attention of a university employee, then the FD should have been notified.

Matt
    (Oh well, might not be arguements for your side...but gives you some you'll be up against!)

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thank you, this is the stuff I need. I need to know what the opposition (Campus Police) are going to say. They did upgrade the situation though, an probuly should have had alerted the FD and EMS to stand by, or at least the fire chief, who shares much the same concern. I think I'm going to find the section to post a topic on the fact that they don't call us for fires, until it is out of control.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey Drewbo, we know about the fire problem. If there is a fire on the collage they will send a officer to check it out and if they seea need for the fire dept they will call us out. That has changed as of last year, we had a big fire at a frat house and had one student die, since then we are sent as soon as the call comes in. Not saying that anything could have been done to save the student. I think that all collages want to handle there problem by them selves and only call in help when they need it, and that is not a good thing. Keep at them and maybe everyone can come to agreement befor something big happens.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey Drewbo, we know about the fire problem. If there is a fire on the collage they will send a officer to check it out and if they seea need for the fire dept they will call us out. That has changed as of last year, we had a big fire at a frat house and had one student die, since then we are sent as soon as the call comes in. Not saying that anything could have been done to save the student. I think that all collages want to handle there problem by them selves and only call in help when they need it, and that is not a good thing. Keep at them and maybe everyone can come to agreement befor something big happens.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Drewbo, we had a similar thing happen at our high school, only it was worse. The cops were called but that was it. Get his they had the JANITORS look for the bomb. It would be nice if they put the fire and ems on stand by but do not respond to the scene. At least then you can metally prepare, especially when you might know the people in the building.
    Oh yeah one more thing, Since when are school janitors trained in finding and desposing of bombs?

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

hazmater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Drewbo,
    One of the things you should consider is the relationship that your dept has with local PD. Specifically, with whichever agency provides the EOD support. As someone who responds on both sides of the issue, (NOT a police officer by any stretch), we want our fellow Fire/EMS staged closer to the scene, within 1 minute of on scene. That stages the teams closer to react if someone on the EOD entry team goes down. As far as bomb team retrieving their own --- I equivocate that to leaving a brother FF to get out of a collapse on their own. The standard EOD suit weighs in excess of 80 to 100 lbs depending on the configuration. If you end up on your back, you might as well be a turtle. If a tech is injured, whether PD, FD, Hazmat, or other agency, you owe it to a fellow responder to be there for them as if they were one of your own. We're all in this together. EMS should train with EOD to learn quick suit removal techniques, as it is an involved process even under the best of circumstances. The relationship history between FD and other response agencies plays a big part. Sounds like time to level the playing field with all concerned.

Just my thoughts.

Thread Information