It was just a small blast, a letter bomb, sent by a disgruntaled employee. It went off in the mail room before it could be delivered. The heat from the blast started a small fire that the sprinkler system extinguished quickly.
At the time of arrival the responding units found white smoke showing. The first entry team found no fire, and shut down the sprinkler system. The business owner advised the fire dept that two employees were missing, a search was done and the employees were found. they were suffering from what was assumed to be, smoke inhalation. They were tx and taken to the ER. The fire marashals office began it's investigation in the first thirty min's of the incident, after finding the location of the blast, the suspect container was identified. Inside a burned and torn shoe box was found the glass remains of two pint jars. One jar had contained, Potassium Cyanide, and in the other, Hydrochloric Acid.
What if... is your Department ready???
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: Isolated incident...?
01-04-2001, 02:24 PM #1Bob BailesFirehouse.com Guest
01-05-2001, 12:48 AM #2AVF&R452Firehouse.com Guest
Thanks for sharing this story, Maybe this will serve to show that "YES, It CAN Happen HERE!" We ALL need to start thinking the unthinkable. Will we be ready???? We have to be!!
01-05-2001, 01:07 AM #3FLAME5Firehouse.com Guest
I AGREE WE AS RESPONDER NEED TO BE MENTALY PREPARED FOR THE WORST.
BUT.... (YOU KNOW THEIR WAS GOING TO BE A BUT) MENTALY PRPARED IS NOT ENOUGH. WE NEED TRAINING (BY GOOD COMPETENT INDIVIDUALS WHO KNOW THE LATEST.) AND CONSTANTLY DRILL WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED ALONG WITH WHO YOU WILL BE EXPECTING AS MUTUAL AID.
WATCHING VIDEOS DOESENT CUT IT! NEVER HAS! ESPECIALLY IN THIS SUBJECT!
BETTER FINANCES FOR EQUIPMENT, AND PERSONNEL. I WISH THE HOLE WORLD HAD 6 MAN ENGINE COMPANIES WITH 8 MAN LADDER COMPANIES. BUT WE DON'T. WE LIVE IN A WORLD THAT IS SCARED OF CRIME
(MURDER,RAPE,THEFT,DRUGS) WHAT HAPPENED TO FIRE AND DISASTER. IT SEEMS IT IS ONLY CARED ABOUT WHEN IT IS ON T.V. OR WHEN THE WORST HAPPENS RIGHT IN YOU BACKYARD!
OUR GOVERNMENT IS A REACTIVE GOVERNMENT NO MATTER WHAT, IT'S PART OF OUR LIFESTYLE, WE NEED TO HELP CHANGE THAT.
SUPPORT IS WHAT WE NEED FROM THE GOVERNMENT NOT JUST DURING ELECTION TIME (LIKE GOOD POLOTICIANS SEEM TO DO!) WE NEED IT CONSTANT!
JUST MY OPINION IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT!
[This message has been edited by FLAME5 (edited 01-05-2001).]
01-05-2001, 05:48 PM #4Bob BailesFirehouse.com Guest
Thanks for thinking, It could happen, and when it does, I hope your ready.
A few more questions for firehouse discussion;
(1) what were the two employees exposed to?
(2) could they have spread this contamination?
(3) If it happened in your town/city how many people could have been exposed before the cause could have been determined?
(4) the last question is does your MCI plan cover this type of senerio?
Keep thinking and keep safe, Bob
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)