Default uhaul & verizon trucks

Has anyone else heard that uhaul and verizon trucks have been stolen across the country, and that they may be used by terrorists?

In these days of instant news reporting and sources available I would have thought that that bit of news would have been picked up pretty quick. Let's not forget that it was a rental truck that had inflicted what was up until 9-11-01 the worst terroristic act upon American soil.

I would hope that we as citizens would be vigilant in the defense of our country.

Stay safe and watch your 6.

Doesn't matter if they we're stolen or not (probably not...ever hear of the game "telephone" -- gossip is bad.)

If you see a truck parked in an unusual location, question it.

You don't often see a single or even a couple Verizon trucks parked somewhere without a workman in the immediate vicinity, except at a restaurant .

If you see a U-Haul in an unusual location, yeah, that's suspicious too.

From a more critical perspective let's think about a rumor like this:
    Verizon trucks: Yes, they could have better access. Of course, the Police should be checking IDs, not the sign on the side of the truck. However, volume wise most of them aren't big enough to hide a bomb of any signifance -- at most I'd guess 1/3 to 1/2 of Tim McVeigh's creation -- and lets remember, that left most of the building standing. Additionally, there is an awful lot of telephone people around day in day, and they're apt to notice a strange truck in their territory -- most phone people work the same geographical area all the time. It's a threat, but not a huge threat.

As for stealing a U-Haul, that is borderline ridiculous. Simply put, if you just bought 2 tons of aluminum nitrate and fuel oil, are you going to steal a U-Haul and have all the cops looking for you...or are you going to through the $100 on a credit card you won't be around to pay off anyway?
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

I don't know anything about the stolen vehicles, but I do know for sure that 700lbs of explosives where stolen from a construction site in Houston in last couple of days. That's a confirmed story.

I don't know of any stolen vehicles other than the usual ones but the PD here is gaurding the water and fertilizer stock piles closely. Cause of the threats they have recieved. But I know for a fact now it's a three step process to get into most plants around here just even as a fireifghter on a truck we are being scruitinized.
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't heard of anything like that either as far as the stolen trucks. I did hear on the Texas News Network tonight that two drunk deer hunters took the 700 pounds of explosives, confessed, and it has all been recovered.

Ed Brando
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out this tory from the Newark (NJ) Star Ledger. The part dealing with the trucks is about 1/2 way down.

It's still good advice, as someone said, to report ANY suspicious vehicle.

The reality of these tall tales is they drain law enforcement

10/26/01

BY ROBERT RUDOLPH
    STAR-LEDGER STAFF

An Internet site devoted to debunking stories commonly known as "urban legends" calls them "rumors of war."

The FBI says it hears several new ones each day.

And in most cases, they turn out to be entirely untrue.

But there are those with just enough grains of reality to keep them alive.

In New Jersey, a real incident that took on the trappings of an "urban legend" has persisted despite law enforcement assurances that it was a false alarm.

Last week, the FBI was alerted that local merchants were alarmed when an unidentified man entered two wholesale clubs, one in Wayne and the other in Hackensack, and purchased $15,000 worth of candy.

An FBI spokeswoman confirmed the purchases had been made. But they were made by a small retailer who was simply buying the products for resale. Unfortunately for him, he was also in the country on an expired visa, and the attention led to him being taken into custody by the INS.

As far as danger to the public? "There's nothing to it," said FBI agent Sandra Carroll.

There are other such stories -- most, however, with no basis in fact.

Take the story of the woman whose friend had a friend who was dating a Middle Eastern man who disappeared just before the Sept. 11 attacks. Supposedly, she was left a note that told her to avoid air trips on that date and to stay out of shopping malls on Halloween. The report seemed to gain credibility because it claimed the woman had turned the note over to the FBI.

One problem: It never happened.

On Oct. 15, the FBI took the unusual step of issuing a formal announcement saying the agency had conducted an inquiry into the tale "and determined that the alleged threat is not credible."

Then there was the story of the missing telephone company trucks.

According to the Urban Legends Reference Pages (www.snopes2.com), stories began circulating that some 30 trucks belonging to Verizon, Ryder and U-Haul -- had been rented by Middle Easterners and not returned, raising the fear that they may have been used for truck bombs.

But according to the Web site, which checked the story out, the companies had no information about any stolen trucks, and concluded the entire tale was a hoax.

Such stories, however, are not just harmless tall tales.

According to Carroll, the stories are cropping up on a daily basis, and the FBI must deal with each of them seriously.

"They heighten the anxiety of the public," she said, "and they place a heavy burden on the resources of law enforcement."
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information