TIMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Training Dates Update

Hello All,

As promised some new training dates for thermal imaging.

Feb. 19-20, Green River Fire Officers School, Thermal Imaging For The Fire Service, Owensboro KY, KY State Fire Rescue Training (270) 273-3187

Feb. 23-27, State Fire Chiefs Association of Virginia, 2000 Mid-Atlantic Expo & Symposium, Thermal Imaging For The Fire Service, Virginia Beach VA, SFCAV, www.sfcav.com

If anyone knows of any other events and dates please post them here.

If anyone would like to host a training event please let me know. As I stated earlier, I would like to see at least one event take place every month.

TI technology is great, but most people need a lot of training to understand it completely. Hopefully more training will become available as more units make it into use in the field.

Good Luck, Be Safe,
    TIMan

TIMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Training, Training, Training,

I am glad to see that everyone agrees training is a very important part of thermal imaging. Unfortunately the same message is not being passed on to the manufacturers where it matters, where you spend your dollars. As far as I can tell, right now the number one issue driving the process of purchasing a thermal imager is price (not in all cases, but the majority). Many departments are limiting the number of eligible units to 2 or 3 through evaluations but the deciding factor is low bid. Needless to say the low bidders are not known as being the ones who provide the highest caliber of training if any training at all, after all a person capable of providing high quality training does not do it for free.

If you think the manufacturer should provide you with 2 days of training, including time in a burn, make that part of your qualifications or bid specs. Also do not take a manufacturer’s reply of “yes” as compliance, make them put it in writing. Make them tell you who will do the training, what their qualifications are, and exactly what the training will cover. If you hand over your dollars with out discussing training or getting it in writing, then you have given up your greatest hope of getting the training you want and need.

Do not forget, nothing is free, if you want the best training, you will have to pay for it. You should plan on paying $1,500-$3,000 above the lowest bid price to get the quality hands on training. Cairns used to provide a 2 day training class, but they also usually had the highest bid price, the cost of training was buried in the price. Whether the cost of training is included in the price or offered as an option it is well worth the additional expense.

I know some departments literally are collecting pennies at roadblocks so every dollar counts. In these cases they must go with the low bid, because they literally do not have the extra money to pay. That is why I have argued that there needs to be more training available through local or state agencies. This would allow the departments with limited funds to get a good unit at a rock bottom price, and get their training from a local agency at a reduced price or free in many cases.

I hope departments will demand the higher levels of training including live fire, but I also hope everyone will realize the only guaranteed way to get it, is to get it in writing ahead of time, and make sure the guarantee was honored with earlier customers. If you can get the training for no true additional cost, great, but make sure it is not just buried in the price or you are not just getting an empty promise.

Good Luck, Be Safe,
    TIMan

[This message has been edited by TIMan (edited December 18, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TIMan (edited January 24, 2000).]

TIMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello All,

So what is going on ? I have been posting requests here, for over 3 months, asking the readers of this forum to post any dates they know of for thermal imaging training. Chief Werner also made a recent post asking about training. So far there have been no replies. I am wondering why ? Is there really no training activities going on out there, or are they just not open to the public.

I know everyone wants training, there have been numerous posts on that subject. So what is it going to take to get things moving ?

I am willing to work with any department or training agency to get some type of training underway. I am currently working with agencies in AL, KY, OH, TX, and VA but there are obviously a lot more out there that seem to be taking no action. As I said earlier I would like to see 2 or 3 training events taking place every month at various locations around the country.

I can do a number of things from providing "loaner TI units", training materials, and making connections with qualified instructors. I am sure there are others out there who can do the same. If everyone will look at what is going on, or could be going on, locally and report it back here we could create a good network for TI training.

I am waiting (and praying it will never come) for the day a brother or sister goes down with a thermal imager in their possession. I know there will be a storm of activity around it. It may occur because of an equipment failure, but I am afraid right now, it is more likely to be related to a lack of training.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I hope everyone will force the manufacturers to provide a high level of training. They want your business (money). If you will give it to them without requiring them to provide you with a high level of training, they will take your money and not think twice about the training you get as long as the are covered on liability issues. Don't sign over the check until you know you will be getting some good training.

A thermal imager is only as good as the operator using it !

Please, let’s get the training show rolling.

Good Luck, Be Safe,
    TIMan

Forum Member

Default TI training

TIman:
    could you e-mail me info on hosting a TI class, I live in NJ Cape May County. In an officers meeting we dicussed hosting a class and would really be interested.
    Vesrescue

jahayden5@comcast.net

Forum Member

TIman,
    Do you work for a TIC manufacturer or do you support a specific company?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, talk about deja veux!

I started posting here almost 8 years ago under the User Name of "TIMan".

So needless to say when I saw that User Name pop up again it was a pretty big shock!

When I left the "World of Thermal Imaging Manufacturing" almost 4 years ago, I stoped using that User Name and switched to TORichardson.

I can appreciate the high value of Thermal Imaging Training which is why I have been doing it for going on 8 years. Unfortunately I am not able to devote the time and attention that I used to, but I am still working at it when I can.

In regards to upcoming training,
    FDIC April 24-28, Indianapolis, IN
    As always SAFE-IR will be doing a Thermal Imaging Class during the HOT (Hands-On Training) at FDIC. I will also be doing a Termal Imaging Applications in Haz Mat Response Class during the Classroom Sessions.

Of course if anyone is interested in TI Training you can always check with SAFE-IR:
    SAFE-IR TI TRAINING

Best of Luck, Stay Safe,
    Last edited by torichardson; 02-27-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Forum Member

Nice, an infomercial.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry if that was not the answer that you were looking for, is there something that you are specifically looking for?

I know that there are certain State Fire Training Agencies, Maine is the one that comes to mind, that have a "formal" Thermal Imaging Training Program available. I also know that from time to time a class will pop up here and there, at a Local or Regional "Fire School", though they are somewhat hit or miss. Of course most of the Regional or National Conferences also have some type of Thermal Imaging Training. Finally, there are also private agencies like SAFE-IR who offer "TI Specific Training" for individual Depts.

Since I "returned to the street" about 4 years ago, I have not had the time or ability to keep up with everything that is happening on a National Level as I would like to. Now being a Dept Training Officer and Special Operations Team Member means that I have to be a Jack-Of-All-Trades, and unfortunately a Master-of-None.

If there is something particular related to thermal imaging training that someone is looking for, and you have hit a wall or dead end, let me know and I will make some phone calls and send some emails and see what I can dig up.

I still do Thermal Imaging Training Classes on a Regional or National Level about 4-6 times a year, and I still talk to a number of the Thermal Imaging Manufacturers. Combine that with some help from the guys at SAFE-IR, and hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Thanks, Best of Luck, Stay Safe,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Thread Information