Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAIRNS VIPER

wfo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question CAIRNS VIPER

MY DEPARTMENT IS GOING TO BUY A NEW THERMAL IMAGING CAMERA. BUT WE DONT KNOW WHITCH ONE YET. CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE CAIRNS VIPER?

------------------

JAPFPE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello WFO,
    I received your reply. I just spoke to a Cairns rep. who stated that the Viper has been slightly modified over the units (proto-types) that were released for field evaluation a couple of months ago. Apparently, the Viper will now show all "flaming areas" in red. Also the rep. stated that he was informed by Cairns that there are 1400 units on "back-order" so it will be interesting to see how timely Cairns will be able to fill existing orders.

My initial assessment is that the camera probably has an advantage over the other contenders as far as ergonomics. The camera is relatively small and is "thin" enough to get a single hand around the case and is fairly light compared to others of similar size. Additionally, I believe that the 180 degree swivel on the viewing screen is a very nice feature. The imager is also "new" (microbolometer) technology.

Joe Pechacek
    Hamilton, NY

Thread Information