pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question WHEN DO YOU PUT THE CAIRNES IRIS IN SERVIC?

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUY'S,
    WE HAVE A CAIRNES IRIS AT EVERY STATION , PROBLEM I SEE IS THAT THEY ARE NOT BEING USED. MOST LT'S. LIKE THEIR LEATHER NEW YORKER'S , SO THE CAIRNES ISN'T PUT IN SERVICE RIGHT AWAY. HOW DO YOU GUY'S USE THE HELMET? ANY INFO OR FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT...THANKS BE SAFE....

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

The silence here is deafening.

We don't have this particular imager, but after thinking about it for a while, I see 3 options:

- tell the LTs to get over it. The NYers are slick, I wish I could afford one (if anyone feels benevolent, I like black or natural leather, size XL, bourks), but the imager is too valuable a tool just to let it sit on the rig. Firefighter safety, rescue, you name it.

- Get a NYer and see if you can mount the Cairns on it. You could probably use some small clamps for testing so you don't have to drill a bunch of holes in one of the guys on another shift's helmet. If it works see about bolting one up, you'll probably need some larger washers than normal though so the bolts/nuts don't pull out and use the guys helmet that's on vacation. (And if a Cairns rep is reading this and if you guys do this, I'd like a NYer as my commission for the idea - black or natural, size XL, bourks).

- trade them in, or sell them outright for something the LTs will use (maybe Cairns will give you a good deal towards the new Viper and then send me a NYer, black or natural, size XL, bourks, for my commission).

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Lets see if I understand this. You have a Cairns TI at every station. A device that has saved many lives in the short period of time its been in use. A device that has saved some FF lives because they were able to see the impending truss failure and pull out in time (Texas??). They sit on the rig because no one wants to take off their leather New Yorker helmet. Sound about right?

Tell us the truth - did something REAL heavy fall on the Lts. head early in his career?

Ten8_Ten19
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's obviously not about head protection. Were the personnel given a chance to thoroughly evaluate different imagers and give their opinions? Would they use a hand held imager if it was available? I'm interested in hearing of situations when you felt the Iris should have been used but wasn't. We have an Iris and it also spends a lot of time on the truck.

Battalion5
    Firehouse.com Guest

We put our Cairns Iris in service every chance we get. It has helped find some wiring problems and other things in minutes, where it would have taken us a long long time the conventional way. It is a great tool when it is used properly. We also put it in service everytime we go out on a Firefighter Assistance Strike Team (RIT)assignment. It has to make a Firefighter feel good that the rescue team has the advanced technology that may very well save his/her life if that ever arises

[This message has been edited by Battalion5 (edited January 17, 2000).]

Thread Information