Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scott Eagle TIC

JAPFPE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Scott Eagle TIC

Here's two questions for those of you using the Scott Eagle TIC:

1. Since the unit has a manual iris adjustment, what is the operational impact of this adjustment feature, i.e. if you fail to adequately adjust the iris, what is the impact on the image quality ??

2. I understand that the Eagle has a backlit LCD screen designed to be held at arms length. What is your experience regarding visibility of the display in heavy smoke conditions.

Thanks,
    Joe Pechacek, FPE
    Hamilton Fire Department
    Hamilton, NY

IRalltheway
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I can shed some light as far as the manual iris goes. This will apply to all TICs that have manual iris's. The iris controls the amount of thermal energy that will strike the detector. So, while looking at the flames you will need to close the iris somewhat to cut down the amount of energy, so you don't get any saturation or what some people call white out. The problem with any TIC that has a manual iris is that you must adjust it to receive the best image quality that the system will allow. I know a lot of you will disagree, but if you want the best picture you will have to adjust the iris, that's why it's on the camera. If it wasn't needed then it wouldn't be there. Their are some TICs that have automatic iris's and they will adjust automatically, so you will not have to do anything. In my opinion this is the way to go. One less thing to worry about.

SKauffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Joe,
    During our departments evaluation of TIC's, we found during very heavy smoke conditions most moved the Scott and Bullard cameras very close to the facepiece for the best image. I agree with IRalltheway about the iris adjustment. Keep it simple.

Stay Safe

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've got 3 cameras with the "dreaded" IRIS adjustment.

While it is true it's one less thing to worry about, we haven't.

To answer your questions -

#1. No operational impact we've come across. If it needs adjusted, you just turn the knob that right there on the front of the camera. We have not - I say again - we have not have any problems in a fire with this. We've found that once it's adjusted, its adjusted. IF it needs readjusted, it's easy enough to do with a gloved hand. We leave it set for inside ff ops and it rarely needs adjusted. But hey, we check and/or set our nozzle patterns before we go in too.

#2. Not sure about the Eagle screen, but we have not had any problems with ours. The distance away from your face (arms length or right up on the mask) depends on the density of the smoke. I haven't come across a situation yet where we've had to have it right up on the mask. I'm sure they're out there though.

Mesa Fyr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In my Dept, we have 21 Scott TIC's and have found through testing and working fires that the screen is easy to read regardless of the smoke conditions. Same goes true for the Bullard which we also evaluated.
    As far as the adjustable iris, only training with the units will give you a good baseline for what you need to use, but once you are comfortable with that, you never really think about doing it. You also have to remember that different areas of the building, especially during overhaul, will need to have the iris adjusted from time to time due to the variances in the heat found from room to room or wall to wall - so you don't miss those 'hotter' spots.

Stay Safe...

[This message has been edited by Mesa Fyr (edited January 13, 2000).]

Thread Information