my department purchased the cairns viper along with other depts. in our area. we have a total of 10 viper cameras in the area. unfortunately not much fire to try them out yet. worked well for overhaul at working garage fire

Forum Member

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Mike W ]

Forum Member

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Mike W ]
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

FJF

AFTER MANY HOURS OF TESTING THE FIRE COMPANIES IN THE AREA PURCHASED 8 Cairns VIPERS WITH MORE TO BE PURCHASED LATER
    PAFF55

Forum Member

Our dept. purchased 14 Bullard MX Cameras in June with money allocated in 2002 budget to purchase 14 more. We evaluated 8 cameras and liked the MSA 4000 and the Bullard MX the best. Bullard came in with a very attractive price and there distributor has been very good.
    Lt. Dan

Forum Member

We just got a MSA evolution 3000. We used it on a small kitchen fire and have had problems with it, MSA is sending us a 4000 to use while they fix ours.

Anyone had any problems with the 3000.

Joe

I have used every major brand of camera in classes that I have taught. In my most recent classes i was able to integrate live burns into the hands on training session and we used several brands of cameras loaned to us from the reps. I have found several that are very good, the top 3 being #3 MSA 4000, #2 Scott Eagle, and #1, ISG Talisman. The talisman has better picture, better resolution, is lighter, and has a unique feature that is a tremendous assett in the video overlay. Its price has proven to be competative as well. At my classes I talk about the features of cameras although no cameras are endorsed and no sales pitches are given. There are several very good cameras out there and a few that are not so good-my advice is to beware of the kit cameras. I personally think the helmet mounted cameras were a good idea, and Fire Flir came real close with theirs, but just needed to fix the angle at which you had to crane your neck to see the image from in the crawling position. Good luck, and if all these posts dont give you some good ideas, be sure to call some reps, have a live burn and get the few last choices you have narrowed down to side by side for compairisons. Good luck

We don't have one as of yet, but I have used the Viper, Bullard, and ISG Talisman. I like the ISG myself. The Viper seems to be more of a two handed operation, although I do like the way that the viewing screen can be directed to look in recesses or overheads. The ISG offers a temp reading which is a great tool to have. We plan on purchasing one (t.i.c.) sometime next year and I'm sure we'll test quite a few of them out.
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 11LK349F View Post
    We still have a bullard TIC. It's been great, although we're looking into the smaller, more compact new units.
    Go away FHgirl. troll
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Our TICs

We have a Scott, MSA and a Bullard. Yes, 3 different manufacturer for 3 Stations.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

We currently have 1 Bullard TIC on our Heavy Rescue and 2 Engines, we also have 2 MSA TICs on the Heavy Rescue, reason for haveing 3 on the Rescue (2 MSA and 1 Bullard) is because our county mandated Bullard for all units we opted to leave the existing MSAs on there to have 3, since 3 is better then the 1 required.

Forum Member

We currently have an older Bullard on our rescue truck.

A few years ago, the military purchased a Scott for the National Guard facility we cover under contract with the new engines they purchased just before we assumed responsibility for fire protection.

We liked the Scott so much we just purchased on for our primary engine with our FireAct grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We currently have an older Bullard on our rescue truck.

A few years ago, the military purchased a Scott for the National Guard facility we cover under contract with the new engines they purchased just before we assumed responsibility for fire protection.

We liked the Scott so much we just purchased on for our primary engine with our FireAct grant.
    Thanks LaFire. Again. I am keeping track as we will be making our purchase within the next couple months.

Forum Member

Our first imager was the ISI Vision which we just donated last year when we got our new ISG imagers. Our second purchase was the Bullard TI1, and round three was the Bullard MX. All of these were early versions and were large and heavy.

In 2009 we did extensive evaluations of Scott, MSA, Argus, Flir, Drager and ISG. We evaluated ease of use, picture quality, and handling.

In my opinion, and the overwhelming concensus of the department-wide evaluations, the ISG had the best image by far. It also had less of a tendancy to "white-out" when focused on extremely hot spots. The two-color pallet is simple and effective. We didn't see the need for multiple color pallets. We purchased 8 cameras last year with truck-mount chargers. We use them routinely on different fire scenes for victim search, to locate fire seats, and to search for hot spots.

The only problem we have had is with the batteries. It seems like ALL of our original batteries, which are NiMH type, are shooting craps after just 1 year. Other than that we love these new cameras.

Has anyone else had similar problems with ISG batteries? If so, please reply with the root problem and any solutions.

Forum Member

We have the SCOTT Tics - Eagle Imager 320 I think.
    Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

yes indeed

Thread Information