Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    BHarnedffemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Thermal Imaging Cameras

Our Fire Department is looking to buy our first T.I.C. and we are looking for ideas on how to promote and to help us raise funds for the purchase of this useful tool. I am also looking for information as to which ones are the best and most reliable out there. We have been looking around but any help would be appreciated!

FF.FOREVER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well the first thing you might want to do is have the camera on sight when you are doing any type of fundraiser. You also want to tell them that by having a camera the statisics show that you can search a structure 40% faster with camera. If you can get a smoke house or something of that nature or even smoke up a bathroom or bedroom at the firehouse and show them what a difference this camera makes!! If you need anymore help feel free to e-mail me and good luck with your new camera what ever it may be. By the way my dept uses the ISG K-90.

LadderCapp
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dept. has a camera on the lead truck at every station. We have used them extensively for search and rescue. But the true savings to the taxpayer on the imaging cameras is for overhaul. Reduce the chances of the dreaded R word,(re-kindle), and beg,borrow,and steal if you have to. Your taxpayers will thank you.

LadderCapp
    Firehouse.com Guest

And by the way, we have two types. Argus and I believe the other is an ISI. The Argus seems to be really sturdy but we have had problems with water and steam getting into the cameras. The only problem that I have heard from the other stations are that the ISI model is a real battery eater. I'll check on the model at the other stations to make sure I'm not relaying faulty info on the mfg.... I'll get back with you.

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Laddercapp,

I regularly get 3hrs+ on my demo ISI Vision3 and that is with the transmitter running.

LadderCapp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sorry about the mfg. info. The battery eater at the other station is not an ISI, it is MSA, although the Vargus brand is also made essentially by msa, the eev model seems to be the sturdier of the 3 different models that we have.

old Bob
    Firehouse.com Guest

LadderCapp,
    now I`m really confused........
    Argus is the TIC brand of Marconi (formerly EEV).We used to be distributed in the USA by MSA but no longer.If you have an Argus that is eating batteries,please check that you are using a good brand of LR6 primary cells or try the new NiMH rechargeables that can be used with any Argus and are good for at least 3 hours.

------------------
    old Bob M.

capt963
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have an argus camera on our dept. and
    hav'nt had any problems with it. I dont think
    that theres a whole lot of difference
    between brands. Two suggestions though, Dont
    buy a helmet mounted camera. Buy a hand held. That way its available for anyone to use at a moments notice. Second, look for last year models ( but new ) They work just as well, and you'll save hundreds of dollars.

------------------
    Scott

cloudmedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the Carnes Iris, which I find to be a great asset to our department, I had the chance to use it yesterday and again it worked without any problems. The only downsides to it is the weight and the price. At first there was a problem when You would crawl the camera would point down, but after working with the folks at carnes We fixed that by putting a swivel on the Helment letting You turn it at different angles.

Capt. Lou
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi BHarnedffemt,

My Department purchased 2 Tailsman K-90 handheld cameras in 1998 and one more in 2001. We tried a bunch and the firefighters felt the K-90 worked the best. It, the K-90, has in my opinion the the best quality picture. It is easy to use and weighs about 4lbs. This camera was also recently tested, along with the other manufacturers, and excepted by the US Navy as their TI camera. You can get more information on the K-90 and the testing by calling ISG Tailsman at 1-877-733-3473. By the way, we have had no problems with the Tailsman K-90 product. Our FF's have confidence in this easy to use and very durable TI camera.

Try them all and ask alot of questions.

Good Luck!

Capt. Lou

jizumper-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check out the Bullard site. They have justifications of why a TIC is good. I found a lot of info on just thermal imagers there. Not just Bullard thermal imagers.

------------------
    Keep Safe!

[This message has been edited by jizumper-5 (edited 04-20-2001).]

Thread Information