aschim
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What changes have happened in your departmentbecause of thermal imaging?

I am a student and am doing a research paper on the changes in fire department procedures,because of thermal imaging cameras. Could you help me with any information.

Resc1AFD38
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I know that by using the Thermal Imaging camera's .. We have a better look of where the danger is and what we need to do and to what extent to putting out a fire. It also helps us find hiddne hot spots within a fire that could flare back up again. We have also used our camera's in helping the police tracking down suspects in the dark in the woods that they have chased .. It's a very good tool and I'm glad we aquired two of them.

------------------
    Cruisa

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can confidently say we have reduced the potential for excessive damage when searching for hot spots, checking for extension of chimney fires, etc thanks to our TIC.

It has definitely improved some of the "Customer Service/Public Relations" issues we used to face. Both in the public's amazement with the technology and with the reduced property damage.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Having the thermal imaging cameras have made the job a lot easier! The first opportunity I had to use it was at a reported chimney fire that extended into the walls. In the past, we would have to tear the whole wall open. Using the imager, we found just how far the fire had gotten and opened up those areas, saving thousands of dollars in damage. We have used them quite a bit over the last month or so (a 2 alarm, a 4 alarm and a working fire)and they have allowed us to get back into service quickly.

------------------
    Firefighters: rising to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 04-02-2001).]

570eck
    Firehouse.com Guest

While doing a recent FAST training exercise (live fire at training grounds) we proceeded in with a 4 man crew. Reaching the second floor proceed with search. Heavy smoke conditions. Doing a left hand search came to an opening and was begining to enter when ff with tic noticed the "downed" firefighter apporx. 10-15 ft. past opening. If we had entered the opening we probaly would have wasted 2-4 min searching an area that the firefighter was not in. So what I am trying to say is, TIC has proven itself to me and the rest of the crew. Now if only we could figure a way to never have to use it.

Thread Information