Thread: TIC SOPs

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question TIC SOPs

Does anyone have a department SOP specifically addressing TICs (which calls it goes in on, who carries it, etc., etc., etc.)? Our department put our first TIC in service yesterday (CairnsVIPER) and would like to bring our SOPs up to date. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

email: pyroknight@firehousemail.com
    fax: 303-966-2880

There are a lot of variables that will help determine the best way to utilize your new technology. Size dept, number of rigs and personnel assigned to an alarm, etc. You need to place the unit where it will be used most, be placed in the structure quickest, and remember it is not a replacement for traditional search and rescue operations, but simply another tool. I cannot email from this location, but will from home after this shift. I have taught fire school classes on TIC,(one of very first in the US), been a columnist in a trade journal on the topic, instructed live burns with tic, toured a TIC manufacturing plant and used TIC in many working fires. If I can be of help to you let me know.

The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Hi I am just starting out in my 2nd department, made a change...anyway

Dept 1 the SOP if you want to call it that...We Had 2 Scott TIC's and The Monitor/VCR recorder. The Monitor VCR was set up in the command vehicle. It had an A/B switch to allow the incident commander to switch between the 2 camera's when both were in use. Usually the Monitor VCR seems to only get turned on when we are training!!!
    Each camera was assigned to a frontline engine. The Engine Officer was usually the TIC op. Through training we found the necessity to put the Officer on the line behind the nozzleman. All 4 groups tested in live fire with the same problem occuring. The Comp Officer seemed to want to leave his crew to scout the fire building. This basically caused a separation of the company. This practice can render the concept of the TIC somewhat less effective. The Nozzleman ends up on a line with no vision if the thermal layer is lowered. The TIC operator can get to the fire however he has no means of knocking the fire down without his line, unless he can find the nozzleman. In a limited manpower situation, unless you practice out all scenarios your pretty much at 50%or > useful at the onset.
    There was no formal SOP's on the Battery change, it got changed as needed(Good reason not to use TIC as a primary tool)however one engine did have an onboard trickle charge. This tool needs SOP written covering all the bases to be truly useful.

Dept 2(Present) 1 Scott TIC in Command vehicle. Battery is changed weekly unless the unit is put into use. Because of the command structure, and limited personnel the IC must implement the use of the TIC, he is the OP unless he designates it out. Again Manpower can limit the roles in using a TIC. Organization and Practice are the keys to setting TIC SOP's trying to find your potential SNAFU's like anything else in the Fire service eliminates surprises later. Ranbo1228@aol.com

Thread Information