Default TIC's not intrinsically safe

Hi all, greetings from New York. I thought I would share with you something I just read and get your thoughts. I just read an article in a regional emergency services publication regarding TIC's not being intrinsically safe.

The article stressed the point of not changing the battery in a hazardous atmosphere, like inside a structure fire or smokey environment. However, nobody ever stressed this point in any of the TIC classes I have attended. But...they did stress the point of being able to change the battery with gloved hands and in low visibility.

Any thoughts on this????

Any TIC manufacturers considering making them intrisically safe??

Peace, stay low and stay safe all.

Engine/Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

Intrinsically safe means it won't cause a spark that could ignite gasses. I don't know of any battery powered device that does not have the risk of spark when you are changing the battery. Ask your radio manufacturer if the radio is intrinsically safe while changing the battery. Ask your ....
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

pokeyfd12

Their is only one TIC that has ever been classified and certified as intrinsically safe and the model is a Hughes Probeye 649 and was designed for use in mines. I would bet that it will be a very very longtime before we will see another intrinsically safe camera due to the cost of the design and to get the certification. Plus, their has not been a very high demand for that type of camera.

IR

The article stressed the point of not changing the battery in a hazardous atmosphere, like inside a structure fire or smokey environment.

However, that's almost *never* an atmosphere that's hazardous for risk of explosion! Obviously in a structure fire, the source of ignition is already there...and smokey environments aren't generally associated with explosive environments.

Changing batteries, or plugging into an electrical socket, in a potentially explosive atmosphere is always a no-no
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

A UK Company called Hawk IR just released an ATEX Certified "Intrinsically Safe" TIC.

Protective Economist

There is not a thermal imager designed for firefighting that is also intrinsically safe. It isn't an issue in most applications, as someone noted, because in a fire, the ignition source has already occurred. A spark from your TI isn't gonig to make things worse.

An NFPA committee is developing a proposal that would probably require it, but no one knows if it can be done in a cost effective manner and in a useable package.

Sometimes firefighters make an issue of IS, but fail to recognize they probably do not have IS radios or IS flashlights.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Jonathan, I said the same things in a recent officers meeting. It was said by the chief that "you truck officers need to remember to remove the city's nextel phones before you put your gear on as they are not intrinsically safe". I let it slip out "neither is the TIC but we carry it in though." I got to see the Chief's pressure gauge in the form of his head getting red a bit.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

As mentioned, there is a lot of equipment that we carry that is not IS.

The only time we worry about 100% IS compliance is gas/odour/confined space calls. If the thing is already burning, my little radio battery overheating is not going to make it any worse.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Obviously we all know that if it is burning, who cares about the iginition sources that we bring to the party. But, most important item to wathc out for is also your flashlight. The number one item that we use on our trucks is a Streamlight Litebox, not intrisically safe at all. Keep this in mind.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

[QUOTE=pokeyfd12;192394]Hi all, greetings from New York. I thought I would share with you something I just read and get your thoughts. I just read an article in a regional emergency services publication regarding TIC's not being intrinsically safe.

Kevin,

I am a Lieutenant with Columbus Ohio FD and work parttime for morning Pride. I demo/burn with their TIC, the Fire Warrior. The information that you read is correct, no manufacturer of any TIC is able to make a camera to meet that safety reading. The reading is more important in the mining industry rather than the fire service as they have combustible gases in chutes at all times and that is where the rating derived from. Because any unit becomes "unsealed" while changing its battery, that is why it can't be rated. I am not aware of any TIC by any manufacturer that has ever exploded or caused a fire in the fire service.

scott

Thread Information