Thread: MSA 4000 camera

Post MSA 4000 camera

Our department is doing demos for new cameras. One that has caught our attention so far is the MSA Evolution 4000. The salesman was just like any others with promisses and guarentees. We would like the oppion of some end users. FDNY is one of them and we did call a company there for there opinion and they love it. Please give us your two cents worth and any other cameras you may like and why. Thanks

Forum Member

We have two of them, about 6 months old. So far, no problems and they work excellent. We evaluated a bunch of models before deciding on the Evolution 4000. Prior to these, we had one ISI Vision-3 camera, which worked pretty well, no major complaints. The 4000 is better balanced, easier to crawl with, has 2 batteries, and a bigger, brighter display. No complaints as of yet.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

My department uses the Evolution 4000 and we have been very pleased with it. It's easy to use, well-balanced, durable, and effective. Good luck.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Our department is currently evaluating TIC's as well. Any and all info is appreciated. email firemarshal_78@hotmail.com

Thanks

A neighboring FD has evaluated the MSA 4000, MSA 3000, ISG Digiteck,
    Bullard T3, Bullard (Red), and Bullard (Yellow). The members at the
    evaluation/demo did not like the Bullard versions due to poor picture on the video screen. Even though the T3 is under $10,000; you get what you pay for. The final choice will be between the ISG and the MSA 4000. The ISG is lighter in weight (just over 4 pounds), easy to handle (with or without the pistol grip handle), has video format and
    a combined video/thermal format, batteries last about twice as long as the MSA, and the battery compartment is completely sealed (no chance for water to permeate into the rest of the camera and cause it to shut down). This camera is also the only one which has been proven itself to the US Navy. The MSA 4000 is a bit heavier (between 6 and 6 1/2 pounds--it is like holding a Dewalt cordless drill in your hand), Has a backlit LCD screen (which uses more battery power and what do you do when the backlight burns out?), and is much larger than even the Bullards.
    Just remember to evaluate all of the cameras that you can. Even though the price may be coming down each year, when you do buy a camera--DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! If not, you will need to explain why you made the wrong decision. Sometimes this takes more time than making the right decision. Also, the lowest price may not be right choice either. Long after the low price fades away, memories will continue regarding the quality and customer service of the product.
    We need to choose the best products for our jobs. Remember, when we have a bad day, people will get injured or killed. How do we explain that to their families and the government officials? Let's be safe out there.

Thumbs up TIC

We did demos and burns with Bullard, Draeger, Scott and MSA. The MSA EVOL 4000 far out preformed all of the other cameras. It is better balanced firefighter friendly and good display. The only way to demo the cameras is side by side in a burn building

We have two of the MSA Evolution 4000 cameras, that are about 8 months old. We love them. We reviewed cameras for several months, coming to a final decision on the MSA based on screen size, clarity, ease of use, among other features. The only downside is that MSA currently does not offer a method to charge the batteries while in the camera (on the rig), however I'm told this is forthcoming within a few months. As previously said, take your time while evaluating cameras. It's a sizeable purchase, so do it right, once. Bullard's site has some info on evaluations. It's a good reference for setting up your evaluation program. Good luck!

Our department is also in the process of evaluating TIC. Any comments or concerns about cameras would be very helpful. You can e-mail me at hhollingsowrth@fortosagefire.org

Thanks Harold

Default FireFlir

When my department looked into the Thermal Cameras we focused on cost initially and then to actual usage. We chose the FireFlir helmet mounted camera for our department for the main reason of keeping one's hands free. We have used it a few times now and have had good success. One other department in the area also purchased an identical model so when we train we often share eachothers units to optimize training. Each year the State Fire Commission selects 5 departments in each county to receive a matching grant up to $9,000 for the purchase of a unit. I have seen recently all types of cameras from local companies. Bullard, Cairns, MSA etc... I think either way you go we are better off than we were 10 years ago. Good luck.

Default MSA Evolution 4000

Having extensive use with this camera we've found it takes alot of punishment and still works great. As Commander after evaluating the unit my lieuts and I decided to use one battery active in the camera and one on charge at all times, any time the camera is used the batteries are changed.The color screen and themal rise indicator can be a great resource when determining conditions . I've used it at car accidents where autos were in thick underbrush and no driver DWI and MIA.. usually a quick scan can locate the offending partys quickly.. As A RIT or Fast truck we use it to evaluate the overhaul scope of conditions as we don't usually get inside. One can get an idea of fire travel in walls and the thermal indicator which is easy to read will allow one to rapidily pinpoint any hot spots quickly. With a response area of Mixed occupanies, taxpayers, private dwellings of which most are Victorian style balloon frame construction with similar exposures only 10 ft away it is a tremendous assest. If conditions are deteriorating I don't need a camera to tell me, and white out will occur due to thermal overload. My Above team in this case as assess the temperature of conditions on floor above and where fire is extending and also quickly find any potiental victims.It will not pinpoint holes in floors and such. I feel the one shortcoming is one using the virtual space as a substitute to time honored search techniques , IE over dependance on technology. but used with balance judgement and adhering to proven search techniques, search ropes, using walls for bearings and feeling your way along it's the best bang for the buck..
    "Knowledge is Power"
    Bill Y

Forum Member

Last fall we put four MSA Evolution 4000's into service and have had good luck with them. We currently run three stations and have a spare set of batteries on the charger at each one so when we get back the batteries are replaced. FDNYL133 is right, you must still practice and use traditional search methods but the TIC will really speed up your searches. The TIC did find a hole in the floor before our guys got that far. This next budget year we hope to get one put on our rescue, it even locates field mice along with the patients. We do daily truck checks and that is one thing checked. We did have a problem of batteries being low. If you don't shut off the MSA 4000 but only put it into standby it goes 15 minutes before shutting off. With an hours battery life it doesn't take long to drain the battery. Once we did a little education to ensure the TIC was off this problem was solved.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Thumbs up Thermal Imaging Cameras

Recently attended a through evaluation of thermal imagers. Was very impressed with all the cameras. The deparment that had the evaluation created a live situation in a burn building. The caneras present were 2 different Scott cameras, 3 diferent Bullards, Tailsman, 2 diferent MSA's, Cairnes and Draeger. After each evolution the twenty members of the evaluation team got together and dissussed the good and the bad. I was not able to hear the diccusion. As camera's were eliminated they were returned to the distributors and sent off. The evaluation was awsome. Most places just look at what they are purchasing from the price stand point. These guys didn'tconcern themselves with price issues. They evaluated the cameras like it was real fireground. The evaluators heated the cameras up and it looked like some of the evaluators were in some pretty good evolutions. I could not stay for the remaining evaluation but to my understanding the draeger camera won on durability and picture. I do understand that the draeger camera is more money. all survived what these guys did to the cameras. Some cameras left in pretty nasty shape.

Jim

Thread Information