Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Mark!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

My suggestion du jour ... www.theBravest.com ... real time radio traffic from FDNY ... It's great! Cheers all.

[This message has been edited by Vinny Del Giudice (edited July 23, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

GOOD BOOK -- "Firefighting During World War II" By Paul Ditzel (Fire Buff Publications 1994). Provides an excellent account of the heroic efforts of the London Fire Brigade during the Blitz -- plus more! Cheers.

snake_eng313
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Vinny, Keep up the good work. Looks like you are really talking up the web-site idea and you definetly have the interest.
    snake

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Thanks Snake! Where are you in the Colorado Rockies? You wouldn't be at that big house between Winter Park and Frazier, would you? Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's another good book -- "New York City Fire Patrol" by Arthur Smith (1997). History and photos of the nation's last insurance industry salvage corps, operated by the New York Board of Underwriters. The fire patrol operates three companies that respond alongside FDNY. One thing has never changed in the patrol's long and colorful history -- it's members wear red helmets. Anyone know of other fire patrol memorabilia?

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you're on the road in Pennsylvania with your scanner, check out Pittsburgh fire 453.700 Mhz and 453.450 Mhz and/or Philadelphia fire 154.145 Mhz and 154.235 Mhz. Pittsburgh fire alarm identifies itself on the air as "Dispatch" and Philly fire alarm identifies itself as "Radio." Lots of action. What are some other good ones?

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

ATTENTION FDNY FANS -- A signal 10-77 (a recently introduced special response for a fire in a high-rise apartment, similar to the 10-76) was transmitted overnight for a blaze in Brooklyn. This was probably the first or second time this new signal has been transmitted. Cheers.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Other decent frequencies...

33.900 MHz - Hamilton County Communications Fire Channel 1. This is an incredibly congested channel - over 35 fire departments are dispatched on this channel. Size-up and other traffic such as unit status, etc, are handled on this channel too. Lot's of action! I also understand that with the upcoming peak of the 11 year sun spot cycle, you can hear Hamilton County regularly in the New England area. The callsign is KQI-316 and it is regularly transmitted in morse code.

Also Cincinnati Fire Division is on the following frequencies:

460.600 - Main Dispatch (Channel 4), 460.625 - Car to Car (Channel 3), 458.475 - Fireground (Channel 2), 458.250 - Fireground (Channel 1). Channels 4 & 3 are repeated, channels 2 & 1 are simplex. The communications section goes by either "Dispatch" or "Fire Tower" when on the air. The C.F.D. keeps pretty busy too, especially in this heat emergency! If you would like more C.F.D. info, feel free to stop by the C.F.D.'s Unofficial Web Site at: <A HREF="http://ww4.choice.net/~cincyfd"> ww4.choice.net/~cincyfd</A>

Those frequencies should keep your scanner buzzing most of the day in greater Cincinnati. Keep it safe and try to stay cool. We're expecting a heat index of 115 degrees tomorrow!

Best wishes
    Mark

P.S.
    Vinny - got the Journel's - BEAUTIFUL!!!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mark -- Great radio report! I'm going to plug 33.9 Mhz in my scanner at home in Virginia to see if I can catch some "skip" from Hamilton County. Old timers in Arlington County, VA tell stories about skip from Texas on the county's old low band fire channel in the 1950s and 1960s. I have an outdoor antenna and that may help catch some long distance Fire/EMS traffic. Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

From the reading list: "TAKING THE HEAT -- 90 Years of Professional Firefighting in the City of Paterson, New Jersey 1895-1985" ... A great collection of fire and apparatus photos published in 1985. Some copies may still be available from Paterson Fire Officers Association IAFF Local 3860. Mailing address: P.O. Box 524, Clarksburg, NJ 08510. Good book for buffs.

JOHN J. DELUCA
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Philadelphia Fire Dept. Historical Corp. has just released a new book called "HIKE OUT" which is about the history of the Philadelphia Fire Department.
    For more information and how to order, call 215-923-1438

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

OK John! Thank you.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello all! I have details of the Philadelphia book mentioned above. It's about the first 125 years of the city's career department. It runs 300 pages and features BW and color photos. It's available through the city's fire museum. Phone number also listed above. Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

SURFING THE WEB: Here's another good website from Ohio, sponsored by the Box 15 fire buff club of Columbus www.members.xoom.com/Box15/

[This message has been edited by Vinny Del Giudice (edited August 05, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Do you have a favorite fire buff club, book, website or newsletter? Post it here! Don't be shy. Thanks.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

GOOD BOOK DEPT: "While the Flames Raged" By Emmons E. Douglass (Engine House 1993). A fire buff classic! Covers the history of fire insurance patrols in the U.S. Lots of rare photos. Solid reporting. Today, the last active fire patrol helps protect NYC. But did you know patrols once served Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Duluth, Indianapolis, Louisville and others? Three cheers for the "patroleos"!

FIRE12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Listen to Indianapolis Fire dispatch and fireground talkgroups at:
    www.oz.net/~gmcavoy/sw_scanr_audios.html

eng41
    Firehouse.com Guest

Vinny,
    In response to your post on July 30 1999 about 33.9 MHZ. I live In Texas around the Houston area, and my Dept uses 33.8something or other. We get lots of skip from up "North". Sometimes it comes in so clear that it will wake us from sleep thinking we are dropping a call. It normally comes in best downhere around our "winters", Dec. and Jan. Also our Asst. Chief has a brother up north that uses 33.--- and says that sometimes they also get really clear skip. We also get skip from california, not real sure where though,, but you will here CHP sometimes. I am writting this because I always wandered if others received our skip from time to time.

[This message has been edited by eng41 (edited August 17, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hello Eng. 41. Yes skip on the low band is very common. Old timers here in Northern Virginia tell stories of talking to fire dispatchers in Texas and California when 33 Mhz was in use here in the 1950s and 1960s. One friend told me a funny story. He was driving a Fairfax County, VA., ambulance and marked on the scene. A puzzled dispatcher answered, and said he knew of no such call, no such address. The dispatcher, it turned out, was with another department in another state. The signal kipped clear cross the country. And for what it's worth I have heard skip on 33 Mhz and even 154 Mhz. Cheers.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thank you FIRE12 for the Indy info. Regards.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Calling all buffs. Post your news, favorite books, etc., here. Thanks.

CFD-E3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am from the New England area so I am familiar with many of his references, I find Comm. Leo Stapletons books very enjoyable to read.I have read all of his books and find I can read one in one afternoon.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thank you CFD-E3!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

GREAT MUSEUM: Fireman's Hall in Philadelphia. In downtown, just off I-95. The museum traces the history of the fire service from Ben Franklin's days to the dawn of the 21st Century. Rigs on display include a steamer and the Giant Deluge, circa 1949. Admission is free. It's great!

Thread Information