Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello E33 -- According to Jim Griffith, author of the FDNY Operating Reference, there are not as many special units assigned to a 10-77 as there are a 10-76. But Jim says the Mask Service Unit will go on a 10-77. And Jim also says an incident commander can upgrade a 10-77 to a 10-76 if conditions warrant. Cheers! Vinny

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

For scanner buffs visiting the DC area, a few more frequencies: Fairfax County, VA dispatch 460.575 Mhz. Montgomery County, MD dispatch 154.160 Mhz. Arlington County, VA dispatch 154.130 Mhz (simulcast of 800 Mhz trunked system.) Prince William County, VA dispatch 154.325 Mhz. Charles County, MD dispatch 158.775 Mhz. Cheers.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Great idea Vinny...

I happen to be an avid fire buff and also find myself lucky to be employed as a firefighter. I've been on the job about 10 years and I work for two departments; the Golf Manor Fire Dept & Fairfax/Madison Place Fire-Rescue, both located in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio. I hold the rank of Lieutenant at both and love the job.

On the buff side, I'm a member of the Cincinnati Extra Alarm Fire Association, as well as a member and dispatcher for FirePage Ohio (FPO/D605). I launched and manage the <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/9981">Cincinnat F.D. Unofficial Web Site</A>. I enjoy most anything fire related - from Cincinnati's colorful fire service history to fireground and apparatus photography.

If you ever want to know what's happening in Cincinnati, just ask...

Stay safe & best wishes!!
    Mark Milliron

[This message has been edited by Ladder66 (edited July 21, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you Mark and thank you for listing your fire buff website. I am a reporter by trade and got my start in Ohio working part-time for UPI and the Dayton Daily News. I covered the police and fire beat in Springfield, OH in Clark County in the late 1970s. (I went to school at Wittenberg University.) Here's a question for you: Who operates the Fire/EMS service at the Cincinnati airport? I know it's in Kentucky. Thanks! Vinny.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Vinny,

Fire and EMS services for the Cinti/N Ky Int'l Airport are provided by the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport Fire Department. They have no affiliation with the Cincinnati F.D. They are their own entity operating under the auspices of the Kenton County Airport Board. I actually used to be a police/fire dispatcher at the airport for about 5 years, so I'm pretty familiar with their equipemnt. The CNKIAFD (whew) operates three Oshkosh T-3000 crash trucks, a Pierce/Bronto Skylift (135'), a Simon-Duplex rescue-pumper, a typical Seagrave pumper, a Dodge V-10 Rapid Intervention Vehicle, Command Van, Mass Casualty Unit, an ALS ambulance, and a small army of Blazer's and Pickup's for the Chief's and various bureau officers. Most of the above equipment is less than 7 years old. The Seagrave (a 1984 unit with pump and roll ability) is slated for replacement early next year. All public service agencies on the airport (police, fire, maintenance, etc) operate on a 7 channel Ericcson analogue trunked radio system (for those of you with the new BC-245 Trunk Tracker). The fire department keeps pretty busy with many EMS calls, fuel spills, Alert II's, and the occasional fire.

Sorry to have rambled on.... Any other questions, let me know and feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Stay safe!
    Mark

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Mark!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

My suggestion du jour ... www.theBravest.com ... real time radio traffic from FDNY ... It's great! Cheers all.

[This message has been edited by Vinny Del Giudice (edited July 23, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

GOOD BOOK -- "Firefighting During World War II" By Paul Ditzel (Fire Buff Publications 1994). Provides an excellent account of the heroic efforts of the London Fire Brigade during the Blitz -- plus more! Cheers.

snake_eng313
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Vinny, Keep up the good work. Looks like you are really talking up the web-site idea and you definetly have the interest.
    snake

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Thanks Snake! Where are you in the Colorado Rockies? You wouldn't be at that big house between Winter Park and Frazier, would you? Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's another good book -- "New York City Fire Patrol" by Arthur Smith (1997). History and photos of the nation's last insurance industry salvage corps, operated by the New York Board of Underwriters. The fire patrol operates three companies that respond alongside FDNY. One thing has never changed in the patrol's long and colorful history -- it's members wear red helmets. Anyone know of other fire patrol memorabilia?

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you're on the road in Pennsylvania with your scanner, check out Pittsburgh fire 453.700 Mhz and 453.450 Mhz and/or Philadelphia fire 154.145 Mhz and 154.235 Mhz. Pittsburgh fire alarm identifies itself on the air as "Dispatch" and Philly fire alarm identifies itself as "Radio." Lots of action. What are some other good ones?

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

ATTENTION FDNY FANS -- A signal 10-77 (a recently introduced special response for a fire in a high-rise apartment, similar to the 10-76) was transmitted overnight for a blaze in Brooklyn. This was probably the first or second time this new signal has been transmitted. Cheers.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Other decent frequencies...

33.900 MHz - Hamilton County Communications Fire Channel 1. This is an incredibly congested channel - over 35 fire departments are dispatched on this channel. Size-up and other traffic such as unit status, etc, are handled on this channel too. Lot's of action! I also understand that with the upcoming peak of the 11 year sun spot cycle, you can hear Hamilton County regularly in the New England area. The callsign is KQI-316 and it is regularly transmitted in morse code.

Also Cincinnati Fire Division is on the following frequencies:

460.600 - Main Dispatch (Channel 4), 460.625 - Car to Car (Channel 3), 458.475 - Fireground (Channel 2), 458.250 - Fireground (Channel 1). Channels 4 & 3 are repeated, channels 2 & 1 are simplex. The communications section goes by either "Dispatch" or "Fire Tower" when on the air. The C.F.D. keeps pretty busy too, especially in this heat emergency! If you would like more C.F.D. info, feel free to stop by the C.F.D.'s Unofficial Web Site at: <A HREF="http://ww4.choice.net/~cincyfd"> ww4.choice.net/~cincyfd</A>

Those frequencies should keep your scanner buzzing most of the day in greater Cincinnati. Keep it safe and try to stay cool. We're expecting a heat index of 115 degrees tomorrow!

Best wishes
    Mark

P.S.
    Vinny - got the Journel's - BEAUTIFUL!!!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mark -- Great radio report! I'm going to plug 33.9 Mhz in my scanner at home in Virginia to see if I can catch some "skip" from Hamilton County. Old timers in Arlington County, VA tell stories about skip from Texas on the county's old low band fire channel in the 1950s and 1960s. I have an outdoor antenna and that may help catch some long distance Fire/EMS traffic. Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

From the reading list: "TAKING THE HEAT -- 90 Years of Professional Firefighting in the City of Paterson, New Jersey 1895-1985" ... A great collection of fire and apparatus photos published in 1985. Some copies may still be available from Paterson Fire Officers Association IAFF Local 3860. Mailing address: P.O. Box 524, Clarksburg, NJ 08510. Good book for buffs.

JOHN J. DELUCA
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Philadelphia Fire Dept. Historical Corp. has just released a new book called "HIKE OUT" which is about the history of the Philadelphia Fire Department.
    For more information and how to order, call 215-923-1438

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

OK John! Thank you.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello all! I have details of the Philadelphia book mentioned above. It's about the first 125 years of the city's career department. It runs 300 pages and features BW and color photos. It's available through the city's fire museum. Phone number also listed above. Cheers. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

SURFING THE WEB: Here's another good website from Ohio, sponsored by the Box 15 fire buff club of Columbus www.members.xoom.com/Box15/

[This message has been edited by Vinny Del Giudice (edited August 05, 1999).]

Thread Information