Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    buster
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hi Vinny! Another good book to read if you're into the FDNY is "A DISTANT FIRE" by Paul Hashhagen. GOOD WORK, KEEP IT UP! Buster

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK Buster! Thanks.

DLewisARFM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello -

Didja' ever want to be a firefighter when you were a child?

What are some of your earliest childhood recolections of firefighters?

Did you play with toy fire engines or perhaps even pretend games of “fireman”?

Why do you think popular American society associate young children, (especially boys), with wanting to be firefighters?

Indeed do children look upon firefighters as role models and objects of aspiration, and if so why? These are the central questions to be addresses in the traveling museum exhibition tentatively entitled "Didja' Ever Want To Be a FIREMAN?"

I am currently collecting artifacts and information for, "Didja' Ever Want To Be a FIREMAN?" and I need YOUR help. . . .

An "on-line" survey has been posted on the Fire Museum Network's web site along with more detailed information on the project and a brief summary of my research to date. Please take a moment to fill out the survey, and peruse the related information. Any comments, suggestions, questions, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated!

The info is posted at:
    http://www.firemuseumnetwork.org/didja.html
    Didja Ever Want To Be A FIREMAN?

Thanks for your assistance. — David Lewis — dlewisarfm@aol.com

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Regarding the posts on old stations and museums... Cincinnati still operates out of many classic houses. And Cincinnati is the home of another fabulous fire museum.

Currently, Engine-49 and Engine-37 operate out of the oldest in-service houses in Cincinnati. Both houses are of a typical two bay design, and were constructed in 1900. Other classic turn-of-the-century in-service houses are, Engine 34, Engine 35, Engine 38, Engine 46; all built around 1905.

Cincinnati also has many retired houses still standing that date before 1900. Engine 16's old house, located in Walnut Hills, was constructed in 1871, and is the oldest surviving firehouse in the city. I have a complete list of all Cincinnati firehouses at the Cincinnati Fire Division Unofficial Web Site located at http://users.choice.net/~cincyfd

And speaking of museums, Cincinnati has a great fire museum located in the 45's huge house at 315 West Court Street, Downtown. There are several apparatus on display, many diaramas, kiosks, a fire pole kids can slide down, a gift shop, and much more. They also have a nice web site at: http://www.cincyfiremuseum.com

Those of you that may be in the Cincinnati area the weekend of October 2nd & 3rd, are invited to the Chili Festival held at the Fire Museum. Admission to the Museum is free this weekend, and you can fill yer belly with a warm bowl of chili!

Stay safe!
    Mark

[This message has been edited by Ladder66 (edited October 01, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Mark!

Kiwi Firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Great Idea for fire buffs. I just found it but will be back.
    I am a Firefighter/Co Responder(Our name for EMT) in Wellington New Zealand.
    My interests in the Fire Service gose back till when I was Born as my Father was a Firefighter before I came into this world.
    I have a large amount of information about the Fire Service in New Zealand so anyone intrested is more then welcome to contact me and I will be more than pleased to pass it on.I am also intrested in talking to FF Fire Buffs around the world Take Care for now from Down Under

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Kiwi! Would like to learn about fire/EMS in NZ and other nations. Regards.

mtlfirebuff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi everyone. I am a firebuff in Montreal Canada. Two good sights for buffing are www.incendie.com. This sight has current news of the area and posts fireground pictures within a couple of hours of a major blaze. The other sight is my own modest sight http://firebuff.webjump.com. Our city's museum is top notch. It is located at 5100 St. Laurent Blvd. and is open Sunday's 2-5 PM.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Montreal and thanks!

brazoscty3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a Volunteer in Brazos County in East Central Texas. I have been A Fire buff for over 40 years. I am a collector of anything having to do with Ahrens Fox Fire Equipment. I saw the post about Philly I used to drill with the Navy Reserve at the Aviation Supply Office on Tabor. I had a friend who was a FF on Rescue 1 and then went to the HazMat unit. I have been in the Fire Museum and Fire Communications Office. I would be interested in joining a Fire Buff's Group

HAVE A GREAT FIRE FREE DAY
    Hank Salzmann
    salzmannph@alpha1.net
    salzmaha@ams.iix.com
    ICQ # 14405149

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Hank and thank you. As far as buff clubs, I would suggest SPAAMFAA as a possiblity. Regards. Vinny.

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Since there is a lot of book talk maybe someone can help. I'm looking for a book on the history of the Providence RI Fire Dept. It came out around '85. I have a search on with Amazon but it's been a while. Condition doesn't really matter just as long as I can read it. Thanks to all.

Also for reading try Dennis Smith's Firefighters, Their Lives in Their Words.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Whip. Suggestions: Try FSP books in Massachusetts. They advertise on this site. Or try the Boston Fire Buff website www.firebuff.com ... It has links to Providence and is aimed at New England. Regards, Vinny

WWFD86
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dear Vinny,

I will be visiting the Orlando and Kissimee area in Florida, specifically Disney. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the fire department frequencies used in that area. I am a local firebuff from Rhode Island an would be interested in listening to them.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

WWFD86 -- Let me check "The Visiting Fireman" 1999 edition and get back to you. In the meantime, www.firehouse.com has links to fire departments in Florida. Check those websites for frequencies. Regards.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

WWFD86 -- Looks like most of the systems in that area are 800 Mhz trunked. But Visiting Fireman also lists the following for Orlando city fire -- 453.050 Mhz dispatch and 453.150 Mhz fireground. Maybe they simulcast. If you want I can provide trunked frequencies, or I think you can find them on the web ... There's some kind of site for 800 Mhz scanning. I'm not sure of URL. Thanks. Vinny.

kfdffrab
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Vinny,
    Great idea! I am a career industrial EMT/firefighter with Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester N.Y.. I am also a voluteer EMT/FF with the North Greece Fire Dept. I have been with Kodak Fire for 3.5 years and a volunteer with various departments throughout N.Y. for 17 years. I enjoy collecting firetruck toys and reading fire/ems books. Thanks for all the book titles! I would also be interested in hearing more from the FF in NZ. As well as other departments aroound the world. Keep up the good work! Stay safe.

Roger

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Many thanks Roger. Please spread the word about the Fire Buffs' Firehouse on www.firehouse.com. What is the set up at Kodak FD? Appartus? Shifts? Fire runs? EMS/ Hazmat? Happy holidays! Vinny

kfdffrab
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hello Vinny,
    The Kodak FD. is interesting, being one of the largest industrial fire departments in the world (Kodak is one of the largest chemical plants in the northeast). We work a 2 day 2 night (12 hour shifts) then we have 4 days off. It is a great schedule. Kodak Rochester currently has 2 plants, Kodak Park which is where the film and chemicals are made, and Kodak Elmgrove where the single use cameras are made. Kodak Elmgrove has 1 station with 1- command vehicle, 2-pumpers and 1 hazmat truck, for outside responses. For inside the plant (12 bldgs all connected, 5 other bldgs separate) there is an inside command vehicle, an electric ambulance, an electric rescue/support vehicleand a gas powered 3 speed inside pumper. Elmgrove runs around 800 calls annually. Kodak Park has 2 stations that protect about 260 bldgs, Sta #1 houses an ALS fly car, BLS ambulance, and a pumper which carrys 825 gallons foam concentrate, 300 gallons water. Sta #2 houses BLS ambulance, a huge Hazmat response truck, a pumper with a 65 ft aerial and 100 gal foam concentrate, and a reserve pumper which is a twin to the one at Sta #1. All our vehicles carry D-units now as well. Kodak Park runs around 2500 calls annually. We have 92 personnel all together in the dept. Most of our calls are EMS next is hazmat and ocasionally we have a fire. We also go mutual aid to the surrounding communities as well as call in mutual aid if we get busy. We are also on the response to the Greater Rochester International Airport strictly as a foam supply. Well I think I have rambled on enough for now, I hope I haven't bored you to death. It is an interesting job and I love it. Happy Holidays to you and yours! Roger

[This message has been edited by kfdffrab (edited December 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by kfdffrab (edited December 09, 1999).]

Lt.Houck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello everyone,
    My name is Jason, I am currently Captain with the barrington volunteer fire company in south jersey. (I know my screen name says LT i just don't feel like changing in) I love to buff jobs. I really enjoy shooting pictures and have a pretty good collection started since I got my camera last may. My girlfriend has gotten into it to, and I just bought her a camera for christmas. she has used mine before and taken some incredible shots so I figured she was ready for her own. Heres my info if anybody out there whats to get in touch with me.

Name Jason Houck
    Email: jas9101@aol.com
    fh Name: Lt.Houck
    Barrington Fire Company Captain
    South Jersey

Thread Information