Rascal
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Radio Ten Codes?

I Am Looking For Any Radio Ten Codes,I Have The Las Vegas Police Codes And Seattle Washington And The FDNY,Tell Me Any Radio Ten Codes(Full List)And I Will Email You Any That You Want!I Will Take Sites Too.If You Want The Radio Ten Codes That I Have Give Me Your Email And What Ones You Want With The Codes Or Site!Maybe We Can Work Something Out!Thanks!

P.S. I Am Really Looking Hard For The Las Vegas Fire Department Radio Ten Codes And I Will Send You All 4 The 3 Above And The Full List Of The Las Vegas Police Department It Has A Lot More In It!All 4!

------------------
    Tom Rascal
    The Fire Cant Fight Itself!!!

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here is a limited list of Houston FD 10-codes that I can recite form memory.
    10-10 on air
    10-8 in station (I think)
    10-21 telephone
    10-24 arson ivestigator
    10-50 fatality
    10-87 at hospital
    10-97 on location
    Signal 71 signal to dispatcher to return extra companies to service

There are a lot of others, but I can not remember them. I have the list at home and I can't remember the website address. Sorry.

MembersZone Subscriber

10-1 Receiving Poorly
    10-2 Receiving Well
    10-3 Stop Transmitting
    10-4 Acknowledgement
    10-5 Relay Message
    10-6 Busy (Stand By)
    10-7 Out of Service
    10-8 In Service
    10-9 Repeat Conditions Bad
    10-11 Talking Too Fast
    10-12 Standby for Message
    10-19 Returning to Station
    10-20 What Is Your Location
    10-21 Call by Phone
    10-22 Disregard
    10-23 Arrived at Scene
    10-24 Tap Out Alarm
    10-36 Give Correct Time
    10-40 At Home Ė Subject to Call by Radio
    10-71 Advise Nature & Extent of Fire
    10-80 Permission to go to Store
    10-90 Need Investigator or Inspector
    10-95 Fatality or Possibility at Scene

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Main Codes

we now use plain text
    Last edited by firefighter7160; 11-21-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Forum Member

Codes? We don't need any codes.

NIMS has suggested and taught departments to use plain talk. There are so many 10 codes being used that the all don't mean the same. One county uses this; another next to them uses that. The big cities use this or that or nothing at all.

10-8 means IN SERVICE in most areas and on most code users. If I were to hear that code number, and came from an area that it meant something else, I would be confused.

Ten codes usually can be down loaded from various sources.

Plain talk is so much simpler to understand and you don't have to have a cheat sheet to know what is being said. Beside you donít have to memorize them and can learn something that is more beneficial!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

NIMS has suggested and taught departments to use plain talk. There are so many 10 codes being used that the all don't mean the same. One county uses this; another next to them uses that. The big cities use this or that or nothing at all.

10-8 means IN SERVICE in most areas and on most code users. If I were to hear that code number, and came from an area that it meant something else, I would be confused.

Plain talk is so much simpler to understand and you don't have to have a cheat sheet to know what is being said. Beside you donít have to memorize them and can learn something that is more beneficial!

Well Said. Just look at the previous posts and you will see some differences that could make things confusing. With the improved quality of radio communications plain english is the way to go to avoid confusion, and it is required by NIMS. If you want a grant in the future that is the way to go...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    I Am Looking For Any Radio Ten Codes,I Have The Las Vegas Police Codes And Seattle Washington And The FDNY,Tell Me Any Radio Ten Codes(Full List)And I Will Email You Any That You Want!I Will Take Sites Too.If You Want The Radio Ten Codes That I Have Give Me Your Email And What Ones You Want With The Codes Or Site!Maybe We Can Work Something Out!Thanks!

P.S. I Am Really Looking Hard For The Las Vegas Fire Department Radio Ten Codes And I Will Send You All 4 The 3 Above And The Full List Of The Las Vegas Police Department It Has A Lot More In It!All 4!

------------------
    Tom Rascal
    The Fire Cant Fight Itself!!!

Sniff, sniff I smell me a whacker.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

I agree, plain english should alway's be used. even if you use codes so those scanner listeners don't know what you are doing, don't forget it don't take long for them to figure those things out.

Our dispatcher dispatches 3 fire depts. and also 1 police dept. well the one fire dept. and police dept use 10- codes, there are times that they get confused with who they have dispatched, and there are people on our depts. that don't know the 10- codes that they use, so they have to keep having them repeat things all the time for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Use of 10-codes

As a former reserve deputy sheriff, and while still being active in fire support activities, I learned our local 10-codes many years ago, and it didn't take very long to do so. Now, about 30 years later, I find that whenever I occasionally listen to our local police channels, I STILL instantly know and understand what they are saying, via the 10-codes, even after all these years. I guess that, to me at least, I'll always readily understand the "language" of the codes, even though I also understand the issues surrounding the differences that exists between various agencies' versions. To me, however, it seems that to use plain English might only extend the amount of time of each transmission, versus the benefit of the brevity that 10-codes provide, which can be crucial in an emergency situation. Brevity, along with the instant recognition of what your local code means, has always been a benefit. I've always thought it sad that the national 10-codes from years ago never remained standardized, instead being changed to suit the tastes of the local agency. In any event, it is a tough question, and will be interesting to see if the idea of using plain English ever takes hold. Thanks for listening...

Forum Member

Using plain language doesn't seem to take any more air time, (enroute, on-scene, cleared from scene) and also the 10 codes don't always convey the whole message. Also if you aren't using them constantly it is tough to keep them straight. We used to keep the basic codes taped to our visor just to remind us.

Thread Information