Firehouse.com Guest

Post Do you know what a "Fire Buff" is?

Do you know what a "Fire Buff" is?

Frank the Fireman
    By Frank C. Schaper,
    Deputy Fire Chief -
    St. Louis Fire Department.
    March 27, 1991

A Fire Buff is a person who has a love for the fire department. Fire buffs love fire engines, fire houses and firefighters. They love to go to fires and watch the action. They buy scanners (special radios that pick up fire calls) so as not to miss any fires. They collect antique fire nozzles, alarm boxes, toys, helmets and other fire memorabilia. They buy books on fire departments and fire apparatus. They study fire department history. These guys and gals are really into fire departments. It is great having a group of people so interested in my job - a job I truly love. Whenever I am around the Fire buffs, I feel special. Not every occupation is blessed with this type of citizen support. And support they do give. Most buffs belong to clubs. These are an organized bunch. Clubs such as the Phoenix Society, Box 52 Association, Boston Sparks, The Bell and Siren Club, Gong Club and the Box 8 Club (my personal favorite) hold club meetings and go to conventions. They also have service projects like operating refreshment canteens at large fires and disasters. You haven't lived until you fought a large multi-alarm fire and then go on break to the canteen for coffee, a bowl of chili, and donuts. It's a special kind of heartburn - but much appreciated on a cold night.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

Daysleeper, What you posted certainly is one definition. Another are those thousands of us that belong to The Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Appartus in America. We own, house,restore,preserve and get together to operate old and older apparatus after you folks are though with them. It's a costly but fun hobby. We think these trucks are history and should be preserved as such.

------------------
    Bob Compton

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

You're right Bob....anyone who sees a fire, a fire truck, or a fireman and thier eyes grow wide and thier jaws drop is a fire buff at heart.

bke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm a FireBuff, 100%!.

bke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Everytime I go to a new city or town, the first thing I always look for is the firehouse!

As Donald Sutherland said on Backdraft:

"The funny thing about firemen, night and day they're always firemen."

I think the same is true about FireBuffs!

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm just curious, but how many buffs hope to join a department some day? I persoanlly want to join the Youngstown Fire Department after college, so in the mean time, I will just do the buff stuff for the next three years...

RookieFireFighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by bke:
    Everytime I go to a new city or town, the first thing I always look for is the firehouse!
    I'm the same, but even if you're not looking for them, they just seem to jump out at you, even when you least expect it.

What everyone else said is so true.When I see a rig pass with lights and sirens going, my heart starts to race. My car doesn't need my help, it just follows in the direction that the rig went. I visit every fire station I can find when I travel. I AM A FIREBUFF.

Ya, I have to admit it. I'm a fire buff! It's a great hobby. I can't wait to join the fire department in my town. Until then, I'm going to wetdowns, parades, and listening to the scanner to get as close to all the action as I can. During 4th of July this past year I spent the night riding with the heavy rescue squad during the fireworks which was quite an experience! OK, so all we did was provide lighting, but still i got to ride the truck all through town! haha!
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

I Am A Fire Buff,And I Would Like To Work In The LVFD And Maybe Own A Fire Station(Okay It Dosn't Hurt To Dream).
    Shane
    Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

I'm a firebuff 100% i can tell what type of rig is coming down the street by the sound.I have a 5 proioity scanner so i monitor all channels of the local FD at the same time.I can't be a FF due to being in a wheelchair But I'll be a Firebuff till the day i die.My grandfather who died this past Feb was a FF and that's what got me started.Thanks Grandpa
    Scott K
    MNfirebuff all the way
    Firefighter's america's true heroes

Scott, As a Fire Buff, volunteer, owner of a '77 ALF fully equipped and restored Century pumper with its own 2 bay fire house, I'm proud to have you with us. Keep in touch. Do you belong to SPAAMFAA or the local MN chapter?
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Scott K...wow! you certainly sound like a fire-buff 100%. I know what you mean by telling how a rig coming down the street. After a while of being a buff, you can't NOT know a rig by it's sound...LOL. One great aspect about being a fire buff is that everyone is like so amazed at how much you know. Like for example, a friend and I were sorting through a pile of apparatus photos and he was astounded that I could name every rig's make/model/chasis/pump etc. Of course, he then added the response I get a lot: "They all look the same to me!"

Oh well!
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

You know when your a firebuff when anytime you give directions to someone, the local firehouse is always a landmark
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

A fire buff is not a job or a club or even a sport. It is a lifestyle that only certin people are born with, they are different than any other person on the planet today. They don't talk, walk, and most defintly don't sleep like other people. The may not always enjoy the late night medicals or the CO alarms of the false alarms ing the middle of the night but, they will gladly go and complete the task that is handed to them what ever on the great god given earth that it may be. Fire Buffs are the coolest people on earth, and most of them are the nicest too. Fire buffs will walk all day in 100 degree weather, no food , no water , no shelter in just the hopes that the perfect old rustic looking antic fire hydrent will be at that swap meet right around the corner. And when they get it for 5 dollers
    man watch out! They are the happyest people in the would. Fire buffs will gladly pay 100 plus dollers for fire plates. And load the vehivcal with all kinds of blue lights and strobes. They will take pic's of the guys at the station and hang them on the wall at there home. They frame all there certifices (even the cheep ones) They buy the little cute ff bears at the mall. The have at least 10 ff hats. They have contest with the tool at the fire house. There are always knowing what is going on with every thing. Every buff has at least one buff who was threre or knows the real story (not the newspaper story) the real one! Fire buffs know they are greater than everyone else, but never let on or brag or even tell anyone.

FIRE BUFFS ARE THE COOLEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD !

bke

I know this is my third post on this thread but it is fun rubbing elbows with fellow firebuffs!
    My Dad and I went to a Fire Engine Muster about a year ago in my hometown. My Dad used to be a volunteer in my hometown, shortly before I was born. The department had both paid guys and vollies at that time.
    The volunteer guys had a Crown Firecoach. He and the others used this engine a lot. Around the time he went to another department, they sold it to a nearby county station, which retired it a few years ago.
    We went to check out this muster and found the Crown sitting amongst the others. A local firefighter had bought it and is returning it to its original condition. My Dad was sure glad to see that it had not been scrapped. We got pictures of the two of us sitting in the cab. Few times have I seen him THAT happy. He told me the exact steps for pumping water and driving the truck. After twenty something years, he still remembered it like he did it yesterday.
    That was a very cool day!

Sounds Like You Really Enjoyed That Day
    Shane
    Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

Forum Member

It's not just a hobby, it's a way of life!

Absolutely a fire buff here!! You gotta love it to do it!
    A proud member of the Highlands Firefighters, Local 1505.<br />The opinions and information provided are my own and do not reflect the views of my Department or Local 1505.

You are all definitely Fire Buffs, and who'd a guessed on a site titled "Firehouse.com" huh? I started firefighting when I was 16 and I joined my neighborhood volunteer dept. in Houston, but the fire buff in me goes way back. My grandfather was a firefigher in NJ long ago(he responded to the crash of the Hindenberg). I knew I was truly obsessed when my friends from my childhood(not firefighters) said that they were going to limit my talking about firefighting. I remember driving to Galveston to go fishing one day and my friend said "Jeb, if you go one hour without talking about firefighting stuff, then at the end of that hour you can talk about it for fifteen minutes, okay?"
    Keep following what you love(who am I kidding huh?) Take it easy friends.
    Jeb

Originally posted by bke:
    [QB]Everytime I go to a new city or town, the first thing I always look for is the firehouse!

QB]
    I do the same thing. When I go on Vacations I seek out the local Fire Department and try and get a visit in for photographs and to just shoot the breeze with who ever is in the house. ~ I have a few collectibles around the house and in my younger days I used to "Buff Jobs" in my tri-county area. I enjoy being a Volunteer Firefighter and everything it has to offer and I also enjoy visiting other departments from outside of my state. ~ This years Vacation as well as Last Years was to Myrtle Beach, Sc. ~ Although I didn't get the chance to stop into the station that was just around the corner from where I stayed I plan to next year --- Anybody here know anything about The Myrtle Beach Fire Dept. as to how reseptiave they are of vistors and things like that ? I always like to know a bit about a department before I knock on the door
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

One of the best things about being a fire-buff is how much firefighters appreciate your visit. While on vacation one year, I visited the Haines City Florida Fire Department and the firefighter on duty was more than happy to give me the grand tour of the apparatus bay, as was the case also in Cape May City, NJ. Yes, firefighters are a unique breed and they don't forget the buffs who support them and look up to them for all that they do for us.
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

Lights and Sirens only last so long -- but the men and women of the fire service are the reason I get up at two o'clock in the morning to look at yet another burned out building. I race to the fire to make sure that each firefighter has water or gatorade and a snack when they come out of a building.

The art of fighting fires intrigues me -- we were writing about thermal imaging 8 years before our local departments had their first units.

The most important lesson I have learned is not to criticize the chief on the job. No buff ever had to make a decision where a error could mean trapped firefighters.

On the other hand, any buff can see where the politicians risk the life of their citizens by understaffing the department or letting city boundaries affect how many units arrive on scene.

Be careful out there!

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: esavage ]
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives
    Batteries save Smoke Detectors

In response to daysleeper's question about buffs wanting to join a dept, I have been a 'fire buff' since before I can remember and right now I'm working on getting on a department. I'm a female, and have gotten a hard time by a few people, but that just makes me try harder.

JD

The term "Buff" refers to the old days when persons so admired the local fire service that they would volunteer to polish or "buff" the apparatus just so they could spend time at the station. I'm a firefighter and a buff. I love to put them out and collect memorbilia.

Thread Information