MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gamewell Fire Alarm Boxes

I could use some help. I'd like to purchase a working Gamewell Fire Alarm Box. Problem is, I live in Alaska and we don't have any boxes up here in our antique stores. I've looked at the various auctions on the various websites but can't tell if they are what I want.

Several years ago I visited the Fire Museum in Orlando, FL and saw a working fire alarm box, the tickertape recording device (for lack of a better term) and a brass gong assembly.

This is what I'd really like to install in my den/office. Can somebody please steer my in the right direction for this project?

I'd sure appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Jeff Dobson
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

Hi! You may want to try placing a "wanted" ad on the YFD fire alarm discussion board. The bulletin board can be accessed through either of these web sites: http://youngstownfire.homestead.com/...fireindex.html (then go to YFD message board, then to the General Fire Call Box discussion) or go to: http://youngstownfiredept.8m.com/ and click on the YFD Message Board logo.

Good luck!

Steve

Forum Member

Hi Jeff,

I was just looking at the fire alarm box discussion on the YFD site. There is an ad in there from a person who has alarm boxes for sale. http://pub3.ezboard.com/fyoungstownf...opicID=9.topic

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you Steve. I'll check it out. Ironically, I grew up in NE Ohio and moved to Alaska 22 years ago to pursue dairy farming. Now I'm pursuing the dream I had as a six year old.

Thank you again for your imput.
    Jeff
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

Good day,

If you're still looking for a gamewell fire alarm box.

I'm in Alberta and I saved a 1958 Arctic Gamewell Fire Alarm Box from Inuvik in 1993.

It is complete with all inner workings intact. The system was installed new in Inuvik, North of the Arctic Circle in 1959 and 1960. It was removed in 1993 and 1994 with the use of private telephones replacing the old electromagnetic telegraph alarm system.

N. Sharpe, Fire Marshal
    klondikekats@hotmail.ca

Forum Member

See if you can find a copy of the book "FIRE ALARM!" by Paul C. Ditzel. It's a comprehensive history of all kinds of street boxes and other alerting devices, however centers on electromechanical systems and has schematics and diagrams of how they operate and function. A must have for any box enthusiast.

Owner- Philadelphia Pa. Box 7569 (Ascot Place and London Road)
    Camden NJ Box 334
    Baltimore Md. Box 3321
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information