APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, take a look at the cast guys. Seriously. We have paramedics and police. There's almost no fire fighters in the cast, except for the sleazy ex. Not really 'in' the program.

matty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I loved it! Remember its a TV show, not really life.Of course somethings are fictional and would never happen. Its the closes thing right now to a show relating to the Fire service that might make a year on the air. Keep watching.

Jeff801
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, at least the "station" didn't have raquetball courts!. (I still miss Code Red). I challenge Mr. Webmaster to post an address that we could Email OUR stories, real or sounded sorta good after a few beers. See if we can be the Technical Advisors, that would be fun. "Next on 3rd Watch...A cop lights a flare for traffic control when an 8" natural gas line is cut by the city water department...who will survive!

Capt-EJ12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

"Third Watch" will do good, as long as the producers and FDNY & NYPD work together. If the real facts are shown and not the "Hollywood" stuff, it will be a hit.

The other TV programs that had the Fire Department as the main theme, never hit off. since they were always controled by the producers and the fire department, had very little say in the show.

Good luck, I have liked the show so far.

dougco100
    Firehouse.com Guest

I watched the sunday night broadcast of TW, a friend recorded the thursday program and have not had a chance to watch. I was impressed with the real time aspect of the program. Good interaction between all parties and good movement from one group to another without loosing the story line. I think that this in its infancy is showing the diversity of such a complex emergency service system in one of the largest cities in the world.

It will never be middle america or small town USA and anyone who expects it to be will always be disappointed.

I feel it did a good job of portraying the inner needs and conflicts of persons on the job. The paramedics each examining themselves and their performance when one of their own was shot and how nobody really knew what each other had done in the heat of the moment when seconds seem like days but are in the end a blur of action. How much can any of you reading this remember of the details of action in a fast moving incident that you were involved in??????

The paramedic giving a friend a vest in the suggestion that she protect herself. Her conflicts with wearing it. Should she put up with the discomfort of wearing it? She knows it will provide protection. Be Honest! What would you do?

Many said that ER would not survive and yet we found ourselves glued to it week after week and this show has the same potential.

I think that the writers have started something that is likely to survive as long as they listen to some criticism, give the fire guys a little more exposure and don't get too wild in the big ones. I think that the balance is about right at this time. The old smoke-eaters don't like to admit it but today we do a lot more medical and rescue than we do firefighting. The show should show that balance. It should show the mundane drunks, cuts and scrapes, garbage fires in stairwells and burning autos in the street. Those are real. The audience will agree.

LWO132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I taped the Sunday show because the best show on tv was on. "Touched by an Angel" Then I watched the 2nd episode. This one was much better than the 1st. More personal situations. Still not enough Fire side. I'll call it an OK show that I will watch but not go out of my way to watch. Like I did "Emergency" at age 10. Reactions have been very interesting to read. We take our "job" very seriously and that's GOOD. Take Care everyone.

mwalshnh
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Ok, I really think this show is more true to life than most are giving it credit for. For instance, a Blue Canary parking his car right in front of a burning building (only would have been better if they were in front of the hydrant.)

Second, no matter how we look at it EMS is currently the bread and butter of the Emergency Services. Now I can't speak eloquently of FDNY procedures, however, it would be more realistic if an Engine Co was dispatched for EMS runs as well (I think that is pretty much standard in most areas).

Thirdly, Firefighters in general get no recognition from anyone unless their house is burning. Everyone sees cops and EMTs because there are far more calls for their assistance then there are building fires. So as in real life, the firefighters remain the unknown, unsung heros.
    I do suspect that the writers will add in more fire related scenes as the show goes on, but they had to get people hooked and lets face it, police and EMS shows are watched by millions and so it only makes sense to try to bring those folks on board before expanding to include more fire fire fighting.

Finally, I grew up on Emergency, I used to watch it all the time with my dad, used to make the noise of the station tone when dipatching my Hot Wheels Engine 51, Squad 51 replicas (still do) and can probably attribute a lot of my love for the Fire Service to that show (and hanging out in Boston Fire Stations). That said, if you want to watch that show today critically, you could have a field day. First every call utilizes the Paramedics as the primary rescuer, the other FFs simply stand and wait until Johnny or Roy tell them what to do, not to mention that everything can be fixed with 20cc of D5W, etc. I love that show and am not bashing it in any way, I am just saying that TV shows are just that and we have to take them (or in the case of LA Firefighters leave them) for what they are worth. I like these shows because when it comes to the Emergency Medical Service helping others (real or on TV) always sends a shiver up my spine. I say Good Luck to First Watch, you have my vote and both of my thumbs up. And if you can, add in some more Fire Service scenes...thanks.

------------------

mlevy172
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

This show is HORRIBLE!!I am a career volunteer firefighter on Long Island, New York and work in Manhattan. I have many friends who are New York City firemen, cops and ems techs. No one, BUT NO ONE.. talks, acts or does the ridiculous things they portray on this awful program. It's not even filmed in Manhattan! It is truly an insult to the hard working members of all the emergency service groups in NYC and around the country. Take it off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mlevy172 (edited September 29, 1999).]

IRESQU2
    Firehouse.com Guest

NOT ENOUGH FIRE, NOT ENOUGH FIRE, NOT ENOUGH FIRE!!!! i AM SICK OF THIS WHINING CRAP.
    We are dealing with three services here- police, ems, fire. Home many times have you ran more calls on an engine than an ambulance? or responded to more calls than the police... WE DONT!! however, when we are called into action it requires more effort. This is why we work 24 hr shifts (mostly). If we worked 24 hr shifts as cops or medics we would die. i dont ever want to be a cop and i would rather be on an engine or ladder than the ambulance.... what i am trying to say is that on the avg. we run alot more ems than fires... and the cops run alot more squaters, drunks and ****ters than we do...

sparky_marky
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was really hoping that the language would be a little better. I really don't want my little buddy talking like the firefighters on TV. Too much to ask for?

E54R54
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I am truely hoping that many of my firefighting and EMS friends pray for quick end to "Third Watch".Of the many thing I find too phony are the following.
    1.Sirens on vehicles are all the same.
    2.Language.Way too clean.
    3.Good looking women.Not in my house....or for that matter any house in my county that I can think of.Most even a bottle of Jack would not even make look good.
    4.No dents or scratches in the trucks.
    5.These guys do not even sweat when they get nervous.
    6.Giving Drugs to the homeless...what the hell is this?

Face it friends,this is a show that should be cancelled as soon as possible.The producers will not show what is really like on the streets because they either do not know or the public really does not want to know.

phyrngn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I think that we're being a little too critical. Of course there are a few unrealistic things on the show...how many cop shows are on TV? And how many of them are completely true to life? You have cops that work one murder case in an hour show...the reality is that they probably work on several cases over the period of a day...If you watched the interviews and previews about this show, you saw that it was about "relationships"...amongst Fire/EMS/Police, etc. It is a microcosm of society...we can talk all we want about professional demeanor amongst co-workers, but we all know that when it all boils down to it, partners talk dirty to each other, cops ogle the women that they pull over, and we use tasteless humor...we do this to survive. I think Third Watch has hit the nail on the head...I'll keep watching...it makes my world of reality a little more tolerable...

Bill
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think the show was good. We all have to remember this is a drama for TV. ER people can point out problems with ER just like we can with this show. Lets sit back and enjoy the show for its entertainment value, maybe it will help with positive image of emergency services. If everyone wants to talk about a profession that has been showed wrong by TV lets talk about dispatch, did anyone die on Rescue 911!!!

firemam
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just wanted to let E54R54 know that there is beautiful women in the fire service. I am one of them, and everybody in my department would tell you the same. Sorry your not so fortunate... As for the show, I like it. I would like to see more of the fire service involved, but I do like how the show examines in the inner feelings that we all deal with after a major event occurs.

cfdtruckman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am amazed at all of the criticizm. " It is not like that on the streets"....Last I checked almost all the bios of everyone responding are not from the " streets" were this is taking place. The above responses are a reflection of the fire service today. We always shoot ourselves in the foot with our comments. Here is an oppurtunity to put us in some good light, and everyone is just whining about it. Way to critical. Do any of you realize we are not watching a documentary. Do you think ER an NYPD Blue are "exactly" like the people they portray..of coarse not. Get a grip people and enjoy the show. And next time you are working the " streets" of a big city than you may have a bitch.

FD345
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

It will need to have more interaction with the Firefighters of FDNY to make it the best show.... But over all the show should do well...!

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another attempt to make a dramatic series into a training video by the critics here on this forum. It is TV, not IFSTA. And for darn sure this is better than LA Firefighter's and that God awful Code Red. Maybe it isn't EMERGENCY! but I think it is pretty good. My only gripe would be there is not enough FDNY fire present, but perhaps that will come.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another attempt to make a dramatic series into a training video by the critics here on this forum. It is TV, not IFSTA. And for darn sure this is better than LA Firefighter's and that God awful Code Red. Maybe it isn't EMERGENCY! but I think it is pretty good. My only gripe would be there is not enough FDNY fire present, but perhaps that will come.

DragonSlayer_64
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Over all, I thing the show was well written, the characters may need some detail work, but a good foundation was built in the first two shows. After the Disappiontment of moives like " Backdraft " and shows like " L.A. Firefighters " It's good to see that hollywood hasn't gotten a good hold of this one yet, I hope they don't make it too much like the other flops that we've all seen in the past. I'll stand with the "wait and see" attitude on this one,

Lieut156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just wanted to say that i have read each and every reply. There is a pattern forming here. Lets face it folks, it is TV. We can look at it like this, Rescue 77 was a slap in the face as well as LA Firefighters. At least there is only the image of firefighters sitting in the house waiting, not making asses of themselves on the streets. I can remember when I was a kid. The image was the same, the firefighters stayed inside until after supper and then they came out and sat and enjoyed the evening air, chatted with citizens (kids like me bothering them all the time). Lets face it, a firefighters job doesn't require us to be moving 200 mph all the time. There is a lot of down time. Yes it would be nice to see some more fire related situations, but lets just make sure that we the firefighters aren't the reason for cancellation of this show. It will prove to be a very good show. NO EMERGENCY, but a very good show.

FORT ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Third Watch is one of the best new shows out there. Granted it isn't your everyday comedy or soap. This is an action drama. I am just entering the fire services at the age of 17. I have been around the fire service though for most of my life. TW may not be the most accurate show, but it is very good overall. Everyone that wants this show to be 100% correct down the last piece of lettering on the truck, you are crazy. You have to relax and realize that it just won't happen. As for the numbers on the trucks, Hollywood can't use real truck numbers. If you go back in history all the way to Backdraft, Engine 17 and Truck 46; those two numbers do exist as Truck 17 and Engine 46, and those two pieces of apparatus are stationed together in Chicago. If every show on TV were absolutely correct most of us writing these posts wouldn't watch TV. EMERGENCY still is the champion of emergency service shows, but give TW a shot. They can't please everyone and I have seen an overwhelming number of replies that are for this show. Add me to the list, this is a great show and I can't wait to see how is turns out in the future. Feel free to email me to chat or whatnot, DASfw@aol.com
    See you all out there, and be Careful.
    DAN
    Fort Washington Firefighter

------------------

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

'Third Watch' should be renamed 'Broken Watch' and canceled. Here we go again! Hollywood trying to make a series "life like." Forget it! Those people who attempt to portray the lives and work of firefighters, cops and medics need a reality check of their own. The "Hollywood" types are hopelesly and forever lost in a world of pure fantasy when it comes to portraying us emergency service personnel and what we really do on the streets. Once again, "Hollywood" has to be politically correct in what they put on the TV screen. 'Third Watch' is doing us and the general public a disservice by sending the wrong messages. When is "Hollywood" ever going to get it right? A rhetorical question.
    It is also very illegal for us to dispense drugs to street people or to any people for that matter, unless we are authorized to do so during a medical emergency. 'Nuf said!

ffmd2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

First of all I would like to say that I loved the show! I tuned in thinking I was going to see a medic doing a hand stand on the chest of a code in a sewer(ref. back to Res.77 episode!) but instead was very pleasently suprised!!! The only embarrassment I feel with the show are the negative whiney posts I have read here! Grow up people! Like I have seen metioned here, this is not a training show, it is entertainment and should be treated as such. If you want training, do like myself and other true professionals do and go take a class! Then when you are done and want to relax, go home, prop up your feet flip on the tube and watch a good entertaining show called Third Watch!

------------------
    Jim

HFD TOWER 1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

SO far the show really hasn't been to bad. Alot of people have to understand that it's in the "script" that way veiwers wont be totally lost while watching the program. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but in Hollywood it isn't gonna happen the way it is in the real world. Lets give it a chance then we can boot it like we did the last time they did this.

Americas Heroes
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've watched both episodes and read all the replies as of Tuesday evening, 9/28. It's tough to expect Hollywood to produce what most of us have gone through or still love through every day. It's like comparing ER to "Trauma Center," but at least ER did, for a while, maintain some high level of accuracy with incidents, terminolgy, triage, etc.
    We cant' expect fictionalized, dramatic television to tell the "real" story. We know. We're learning that. Our show is NOT fiction. We will be real, in-you-face, as-it-happens (happened) television. Let's give Third Watch a chance..see what develops. Come January, check us out! "America's Heroes: The Volunteers of Fire/Resce" coming in syndication. Both shows can work!

------------------
    Best regards and a safe return from every call!

Thread Information