Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FD345
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

It will need to have more interaction with the Firefighters of FDNY to make it the best show.... But over all the show should do well...!

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another attempt to make a dramatic series into a training video by the critics here on this forum. It is TV, not IFSTA. And for darn sure this is better than LA Firefighter's and that God awful Code Red. Maybe it isn't EMERGENCY! but I think it is pretty good. My only gripe would be there is not enough FDNY fire present, but perhaps that will come.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another attempt to make a dramatic series into a training video by the critics here on this forum. It is TV, not IFSTA. And for darn sure this is better than LA Firefighter's and that God awful Code Red. Maybe it isn't EMERGENCY! but I think it is pretty good. My only gripe would be there is not enough FDNY fire present, but perhaps that will come.

DragonSlayer_64
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Over all, I thing the show was well written, the characters may need some detail work, but a good foundation was built in the first two shows. After the Disappiontment of moives like " Backdraft " and shows like " L.A. Firefighters " It's good to see that hollywood hasn't gotten a good hold of this one yet, I hope they don't make it too much like the other flops that we've all seen in the past. I'll stand with the "wait and see" attitude on this one,

Lieut156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just wanted to say that i have read each and every reply. There is a pattern forming here. Lets face it folks, it is TV. We can look at it like this, Rescue 77 was a slap in the face as well as LA Firefighters. At least there is only the image of firefighters sitting in the house waiting, not making asses of themselves on the streets. I can remember when I was a kid. The image was the same, the firefighters stayed inside until after supper and then they came out and sat and enjoyed the evening air, chatted with citizens (kids like me bothering them all the time). Lets face it, a firefighters job doesn't require us to be moving 200 mph all the time. There is a lot of down time. Yes it would be nice to see some more fire related situations, but lets just make sure that we the firefighters aren't the reason for cancellation of this show. It will prove to be a very good show. NO EMERGENCY, but a very good show.

FORT ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Third Watch is one of the best new shows out there. Granted it isn't your everyday comedy or soap. This is an action drama. I am just entering the fire services at the age of 17. I have been around the fire service though for most of my life. TW may not be the most accurate show, but it is very good overall. Everyone that wants this show to be 100% correct down the last piece of lettering on the truck, you are crazy. You have to relax and realize that it just won't happen. As for the numbers on the trucks, Hollywood can't use real truck numbers. If you go back in history all the way to Backdraft, Engine 17 and Truck 46; those two numbers do exist as Truck 17 and Engine 46, and those two pieces of apparatus are stationed together in Chicago. If every show on TV were absolutely correct most of us writing these posts wouldn't watch TV. EMERGENCY still is the champion of emergency service shows, but give TW a shot. They can't please everyone and I have seen an overwhelming number of replies that are for this show. Add me to the list, this is a great show and I can't wait to see how is turns out in the future. Feel free to email me to chat or whatnot, DASfw@aol.com
    See you all out there, and be Careful.
    DAN
    Fort Washington Firefighter

------------------

SWIDFCWINS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

'Third Watch' should be renamed 'Broken Watch' and canceled. Here we go again! Hollywood trying to make a series "life like." Forget it! Those people who attempt to portray the lives and work of firefighters, cops and medics need a reality check of their own. The "Hollywood" types are hopelesly and forever lost in a world of pure fantasy when it comes to portraying us emergency service personnel and what we really do on the streets. Once again, "Hollywood" has to be politically correct in what they put on the TV screen. 'Third Watch' is doing us and the general public a disservice by sending the wrong messages. When is "Hollywood" ever going to get it right? A rhetorical question.
    It is also very illegal for us to dispense drugs to street people or to any people for that matter, unless we are authorized to do so during a medical emergency. 'Nuf said!

ffmd2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

First of all I would like to say that I loved the show! I tuned in thinking I was going to see a medic doing a hand stand on the chest of a code in a sewer(ref. back to Res.77 episode!) but instead was very pleasently suprised!!! The only embarrassment I feel with the show are the negative whiney posts I have read here! Grow up people! Like I have seen metioned here, this is not a training show, it is entertainment and should be treated as such. If you want training, do like myself and other true professionals do and go take a class! Then when you are done and want to relax, go home, prop up your feet flip on the tube and watch a good entertaining show called Third Watch!

------------------
    Jim

HFD TOWER 1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

SO far the show really hasn't been to bad. Alot of people have to understand that it's in the "script" that way veiwers wont be totally lost while watching the program. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but in Hollywood it isn't gonna happen the way it is in the real world. Lets give it a chance then we can boot it like we did the last time they did this.

Americas Heroes
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've watched both episodes and read all the replies as of Tuesday evening, 9/28. It's tough to expect Hollywood to produce what most of us have gone through or still love through every day. It's like comparing ER to "Trauma Center," but at least ER did, for a while, maintain some high level of accuracy with incidents, terminolgy, triage, etc.
    We cant' expect fictionalized, dramatic television to tell the "real" story. We know. We're learning that. Our show is NOT fiction. We will be real, in-you-face, as-it-happens (happened) television. Let's give Third Watch a chance..see what develops. Come January, check us out! "America's Heroes: The Volunteers of Fire/Resce" coming in syndication. Both shows can work!

------------------
    Best regards and a safe return from every call!

blackhat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

If you want realism watch Paramedics, or Trauma, life in the er on tlc. Be grateful it's not another sit-com or lawyer show. Be safe out there.

doc42864
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I did not like THIRD WATCH, as someone who grew up with EMERGENCY, I feel that this show is just a cheap knockoff. EMERGENCY
    caused me to become a member of the emergency services, I don't think THIRD WATCH will have as much of an effect.

------------------
    DAJ EMT-B

Daniel B. Hamilton
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Thumbs down. The bottom line question: Does "Third Watch" potray our profession in a positive way? NO. Bad attitudes, bad egos, etc. I was really hoping the show was going to increase our professional appearance, not damage it. I've developed a great deal of respect for my colleagues of FDNY (& NYPD) over the years. If they have any control over the show's content, act quickly to restore your (and our) image.

------------------

mwalshnh
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you have never met someone with a bad attitude in the Emergency Services then you are a lucky person. Although they are relatively few and far between, we do have people with attitudes, egos and all sorts of other quirks working beside us everyday. But why focus on that...this show is not ever going to be real life...it is an action drama that does its best to portray life in the Emergency Services in an entertaining manner. Would you like to have episodes where they just sit at the station and conduct paperwork, interrupted by two alarms soundings, a malicious false alarm and an inspection...that isn't too exciting when you are on the truck, and I don't think I would want to sit through an hour of that...it would be boring.

I think Third Watch is doing very well, and I only hope that the negative attitudes displayed here are not indicative of the entire viewing public, because I like the show and I would like to see it stick around long enough to get better.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mwalshnh (edited October 01, 1999).]

62 Engine 10
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Episode one was great. Lots of action, suspense--very well-written. Everyone in the cast seemed to get equal exposure, and the story line was beliveable.

Episode two wasn't half bad, but the action seemed to be a little bit slower-paced. Also, the firefighters seemed to be treated as "extras" in the story line. Sure, we see everyone at a high-rise fire, but why not a little bit more from the firefighters' aspect?

I guess that I'd have to agree that the show needs to feature more F.D.N.Y. action, but as someone else said, EMS & P.D. get more runs anyway.

It's still early in the show's run, so time will tell what it will have to offer. For now, I'm giving it my OK. It's good to see something other that straight cop shows on the air!

------------------
    3-06

FireMedic TAZ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Ok I iwll start with I liked the show. Now we all need to get off of "EMERGENCY" it was a great show and why i am a FF/Medic, and if that is what u want to watch check out TV land it is on 2 times a day. Now lets give TW the chance it needs and i think it will bring new young people into the FIre and EMS world Just like EMERGENCY Did for all of us.

------------------
    Curtis B. "TAZ" Young

E7engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I find that TW is entertaining...Granted there could be more "Fire Related calls". But what the heck...most of our calls are medical orentated anyhow. Some of the stuff on on the show, is a little far fetched, but interesting...Remember McGiver..and his do anything pocket knife... "Emergency" is he one and only fire department show. I will be watching it at home and at the station.

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

There will never be another "Emergency" just like there will never be another "MASH", Dragnet or Adam 12.

But hey, lets give TW a chance. Sure it needs some work, but over all its not bad.
    It is far better than the past attempts Hollywood has made.

[This message has been edited by mtnfireguy (edited October 04, 1999).]

NBFDT1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I saw this show for the first time last evening. From what I saw in last nights epispode, all I can say is this show STINKS!

Deputy53
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I think after the 2nd week, I like it. it needs more FDNY Fire action, but overall its better than Rescue 77.

Thread Information