Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Bk117
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Firefighter Fairness

There was a news story in Portland, Oregon 10/06/99 that posed the question: "Should firefighters be allowed to play basketball(contact activity)during their shifts?" Basketball/Ankle injuries were the 4th major cause of work related injuries Within the department. The Portland Fire Bureau Paid $101,000 toward these injuries. I am curious, is this accepted in other departments Or is it even fair? There was a Webpoll set up for community feedback to be announced 10/07/99 in the PM hours. So far the feedback leans 73% towards they should be able to use their time at their own descretion.

E7engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

For us, we can not play backetball, in teams due to that same reason. Last year, we had a basketball mini-season between shifts. The chief rulled that the on duty shift can not play due to numerous injuries, due to playing.
    Be Safe.

smokeater
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

My depatment Chief was forced to stop active basketball at the stations because of the same reason, Cost. BUT we can play non-contact basketball such as around the world or just shooting hoops.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

No one has ever said that we cant play b-ball on duty. We have not had anyone hurt to bad. We are allowed to play after 5 on the weekdays and after 10 on the weekends. I know before I was hired they use to play other games ( kill ball ) but the old chief put an end to them becouse they were very rough, and it envolved other people who were not Firefighters. Plus b-ball is good for the body, is it not. Have a good day.

Joe
    Local 3905

Thread Information