Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Raptor557
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question ALF pump operations

What is the correct way to put an American La-France Century Class pumper (1979) into pump gear? Between the drivers seat and the middle jumnp seat, is the air switch marked [Pump Shift - Road - Pump] left to right. Supposedly, the "correct" way is to place the truck in neutral , to the knob to "pump shift", put the transmition back in drive, then turn the knob back around to pump. The truck does have air brakes. Can anyone help?

G Koons
    Firehouse.com Guest

I check the LaFrance pump manual (1977) and for automatics the manual states to place the transmision in neutral first then turn the switch from road to pump and then put the transmission in proper gear. The FIRST thing to do is apply the parking brake!!

G Koons
    Firehouse.com Guest

I check the LaFrance pump manual (1977) and for automatics the manual states to place the transmision in neutral first then turn the switch from road to pump and then put the transmission in proper gear. The FIRST thing to do is apply the parking brake!!

Raptor557
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Thank you. What is the "pump-shift" position for?

If I remember correctly (not always the case!), that's more of a label for the switch.

------------------
    Rick Reed
    Do it right, do it safely, do it once.

Raptor557
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you.

Stay safe everyone

wsfiremn
    Firehouse.com Guest

i am currently the captian of eng 44 which is a 1978 alf century with a manual trans.prior to my promotion i was the engineer of this unit the proper to way to put this unit into pump is to SET THE BRAKES turn the pump shift knob from road to pump then slowly place the trans. in the pump gear in my case 5th gear and slowly release the clutch. the speedodometer should rise to about 8 mph the truck is now set for pump operations. do not forget to chalk the wheels. as stated before the pump shift setting is just a lable for the knob.

stay low stay safe

capt todd atherton
    natfd eng co 44

Thread Information