FIGJAM

The fire department in our area roll 2 appliances and they pretty much tail gate (Not quite that close, but you get the idea!) all the way to the scene.

Issues I see here are (Not in any particular order)-

1) what if there was traffic congestion? Both appliances get held up

2) public will often give way to one truck at intersections, not realising there is second one following behind (possible collission)

3) What if one or both are involved in a collision? (With another vehicle or wose again- each other?)

I beleive different routes are important.
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

First to answer your question:

If an Engine and Ladder both are leaving the house together then typically the Engine Leaves 1st and the Truck follows. This is so the Engine can enter the block first and allow the ladder to get the front of the building.

As for more than 1 & 1 then if they take different routes then so be it. Perhaps if the Engine chauffeur knows the area he knows what hydrant the 1st Due Engine will take thus going a different route to get one elsewhere.

Second:
    This way, there will not be a parade of apparatus with the potential for an accident from interlocked sirens
    This is an issue that I've been asked many times by visiting firemen from out of state. Many have noticed that when in NYC we don't turn the siren to the on position and leave it on until arrival at the box. The officer use short blasts of the siren or airhorns as we approach intersections. If there is a mechanical one we wind it up and let it cycle down. This allows some dead air where we can hear any other sirens. Cop cars, Ambulances etc. approaching

Now if another apparatus is approaching an intersection we will hear them intermittenly sounding their siren and horns. Thus we won't be surprised when they show up at the intersection. Calling ahead on the radio only works if you know which direction they are comming from...however they might not have left from the firehouse, they might have been on another box, etc...

It seems to be smarter to do that than blast the siren and horns the whole way there...never knowing if someone else is doing the same thing on an adjoining street heading for the same intersection.

Just something to think about.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

In one of my past departments, we had semi-established routes for each company (5 firehouses, 7 companies). SOP was to announce on the radio when approaching major intersections that another unit might also be approaching and to announce an 'off-route' response if you weren't responding from the firehouse.
    About 40 years ago, an engine and ladder left the same firehouse via different routes to a fire. The engine t-boned the truck, killing one fireman and sending about a dozen others to the hospital (this was back in the days of riding the running boards, but the pictures show extensive damage and both rigs were totaled).

Thread Information