Default eMERGENCY LIGHTS ON OR OFF WHEN RETURNING ?

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE LAW ABOUT THE EMERGENCY LIGHTS ON THE RIG, DO YOU LEAVE THEM ON WHEN TOLD TO RETURN TO QUARTERS?null

MembersZone Subscriber

New York State Law = Off.

But I would wait until I was out of the intersection I just took control of first.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Wait...returning to station with emergency lights on?? where is the emergency? why would you do this!? Not bashing, I just would like to know.
    Neptune 33

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard that some agencies used to run emergency status back to quarters, but I thought that it was a thing of the past. It certainly doesn't happen in my part of the world.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

We run our rear warnings going back to the station. Just in case the driver behind us doesn't see the big truck, maybe the flashing lights will get their attention.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Forum Member

After a call we shut down the lights as soon as we enter the traffic stream.

In Alberta the traffic act states that if the warning lights are on and the fire apparatus is in motion the siren must also be activated.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: CAP22 ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Either returning to quarters from an alarm or in any non-emergency operation the emergency lighting is off on the apparatus.

I can see keeping the rears on in the day of people riding the back step. However being the rigs have DOT lighting, it is just like any other vehicle on the road whether it be a compact car or a tractor trailer.

I personaly feel that having any flashing lights on just short of a turn signal has a tendancy of confusing people where they might pull over when there is no need to.

In NJ law states that you "MAY" display a visual warning device to the rear of the vehicle visible to 5oo ft.. It is not required and I feel not needed, as stated above your rig should meet dot requirments so you should be seen let alone the scotchlite on newer rigs.
    the truth never hides for long

Well of course we do, if the station happens to be on fire or there is an emergency there while we are on another call. But beyond that, why in the world would you just drive around with them on? Responding or on scene of an emergency or backing into the bay is the only time we use them. The truck has tail lights and on our rigs the strobe lights on the back are mostly 360 degree beacons. If they are on, you can see them from the front too. Can't have them on just driving back.

dazed and confused

This always gets me.

You're either responding to an emergency (or unknown/possible emergency) or you're not.

If you are, then you have lights and sirens on and proceed with 'due regard.'

If you're not responding on an emergency call, you're just like every other vehicle on the road. No lights, no sirens.

Partial lighting is bad... it confuses the public. Are you requesting the right of way? What are you warning them about? That you're on the road? It doesn't make sense.

Risk vs. benefit analyses supports this line of thinking.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

In my dept. when returning from fire calls we shut all our waring devices off.
    More people pull to the side of the road with no lights on then when we have our lights on.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: ENGINE 52 ]

When returning to the station from an emergency call or when advised to disregard, emergency lights are cut off when you are clear from an intersection. Alot of the drivers do leave the rear spotlights on at all times, just so that they are pointed at the ground and not directly into a driver's eyes. They are pointed at the ground about 20ft behind the unit. This aids at night to keep tailgaters back and in the day due to some people just don't see the BIG RED TRUCK!

We turn all our lights off when returning from a call, but every rig has a small orange strobe in the back, that remains on whenever the truck in in motion. We turn the lights back on before we back into the station for a few reasons.

-To make sure they`re on when we go to our next call
    -To warn drivers we`re about to back in, and to get out of the way, or stay back.
    -Finnaly, since backing in requires blocking the whole road for a few seconds, it`s best to be seen, well.

If were cancelled in route, we`ll cut out the sirens, and after they`ve died out, we turn off the lights and proceed on normally. Sometimes drivers get a bit confused, but once we`re cancelled, no need to run code 3 anymore.

Forum Member

I just must say that the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Infact in the little town I am in, sometime we don't use lights to goto calls. Like fuel spills, or trees down over the roadway, cause we don't consider those emergencies. But I would say that even if you are allowed, or told to, don't use lights returning to station cause its kinda like the story of the boy who was yelling wolf?
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Don't agree with lights on returning from runs but New York State Law does allow it. V&T law sect. 375(41)sub2.

Forum Member

If you read on in your law book, there is an like amendment on that in the New YOrk Law books, which says it has been repealed.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Mitch, I'd appreciate your listing the section in which the law has been "repealed". V&T law sections are usually "re-written" and not repealed in a later paragraph. The sect. I mentioned is still in the 2000/2001 law book.

If we are cancelled or while we are returning to quarters, we turn off the lights as soon as it is safe and practical. It could be a huge liability if you hit someone while returning to the barn with your lights on Florida law doesn't specify when lights are to be turned off, but, it does insist that the operator use due caution when operating the vehicle. Basically, it puts all the responsibility on the driver. If at all possible, we try to reduce other units and med units as soon as we can to reduce their hazards.
    Stay safe
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

With my department, it depends on the situation. For code-3 responses in the daytime and evening, we're lights & sirens. In the middle of the night, it's usually lights only. If we're coming up to a red light that's backed up with traffic, we shut down the lights & sirens, otherwise, civilian drivers would sometimes panic and go through red lights to get out of our way. If this caused an accident, the apparatus engineer would be held liable in California.

If we're cancelled enroute or returning to quarters, we shut down the lights & sirens.
    Living the dream...

Thread Information