Thread: Seatbelt use...

B33

Consider this;

It takes less than a second to hit the windscreen in an accident situation.

As you hit the windscreen with your head the force either breaks the glass or your skull is fractured. Before the cracking of your skull has ceased both your legs that were under the dashboard snap at about the knee area. As this happens your body is still moving forward at whatever speed you were driving or being driven at. As the rest of your body connects with the windscreen your rib cage shatters, your sternum puncturing your heart.

Before you have time to gasp your last breath your lungs are punctured as your crew mates or equipment behind you joins the "Windscreen Taste Test".

For the sake of an action that takes just over a second to accomplish, Friends - Lets be safe out there, its dangerous enough without taking risks.

You might also have a care for the poor crews that will have to scrape you off the windscreen, bag you and tag you and then tell your loved ones that you didn't suffer.

Believe me YOU WILL.

Bob
    EMT-D

"and the beat goes on"

In the state of Conn. it is the law to wear seat belts. Even as emergency responders in fire appartaus we are not exempt from that law. It is not enforced in our dept. and very few wear them. With the installation of shoulder and lap belts in new apparatus it is easier to use than just lap belts that you find in older apparatus. It only takes a few seconds to hook up and if done after starting the engine on the apparatus it allows the engine fluids time to circulate in the engine before rolling. Remember you have to take care of number one before you can take care of anyone else.

Since this topic, the seatbelts have been dug out on our rescue and truck (Engines don`t have them). Also, the chief has written something on the board informing members of seatbelt use, but guys still don`t do it, I`ve tried a few times on the truck, but it is very difficult in such a tight space. I haven`t been out on the rescue since I dug the belts out of the back of the seats.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: BFD45 ]

Its required that all firefighters wear seatbelts on every call not matter if the call is right next door to the station or if the call is all the way across town. We have an engine and a latter truck and have SCBA's in the seat back and you can just slide in to the SCBA even while your still buckeled. You dont have to be in you bunker coat when you get on the apparatus, and most do put their bunker pants on before they get on the apparatus.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Lets look at it this way. When responding to a fire call we wear....boots, pants, coat, gloves, hood, and a helmet. Why? Personnel Protection, a.k.a. SAFETY. Before we go into a blazing structure we don our SCBA. Why? Personnel Protection, a.k.a. SAFETY. We take a hose line, light, tools, tag line, and a radio. Why? Personnel Protection, a.k.a., SAFETY. We use personnel accountability and go into the stucture in teams. Why? SAFETY. WE now have NFPA 1500 and 1710 that mandates PPE and staffing. Why? Personnel Protection, a.k.a. SAFETY. If we go to a medical call we wear latex gloves and eye protection. Why? Personnel Protection, a.k.a. SAFETY. I just can't understand, if we go thru all of this after we get there, then why is it so hard to wear a seat belt on the way there? The way I look at it is, a Seat Belt is for Personnel Protection or in other words....SAFETY
    BTW, I started my career in 1981 riding a 1970 Mack CF series pumper and it had seatbelts front and rear. I don't know if they came as original equipment or were retrofitted later. The only position that did not have a seatbelt was the tailboard rider and we ceased that position in 1983. Even our Brush vehicles had seatbelts on the suicide seats mounted on the front bumpers and ontop of the water tanks (Thank the Lord for that).

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Billy Mott ]

Albany 135
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Theory in my department is:
    Whoever is sick, will still be sick when you get there.
    Whatever is burning, will still be on fire when you get there.

How can you argue with that? Take the extra 20 seconds, and buckle up. You are no good to the sick patient, or the house fire, if you are injured yourself. I can't believe that these departments have trucks with seatbelts, but don't use them. As for the guys with no seatbelts......budget for some new trucks I guess Or have some installed. There is a post earlier that you should really think about. You had better not let OSHA catch you. They'll fine you, or shut ya down faster than you can be thrown from the drivers' seat.

It's appalling that some of you don't even have seatbelts fitted in your trucks.

In England we are exempt from seat belt law, although all new appliances have them fitted.
    The rules say that everyone should wear a seatbelt. We dress and don SCBA en route, usually the driver will take it easy until the crew are dressed and have seatbelts on.

When the rule came out a couple of years ago we only had lap belts. The older guys had a little trouble remembering to undo them and seemed to 'hang-up' occaisionally when trying to dismount the appliance...

In my department all the trucks have seatbelts but most people don't put them on me inculded but wehn sitting in the officers seat if caught myself not putting it on and then i did but most people don't and nobody in my department has ever told the frist thing i should do is put my belt on when i get in a truck

BFD... I have to say GOOD JOB in digging out the belts. I read here where someone was commenting about the topic. Hey, the discussion here just MIGHT have saved a life or two or even more. Do I ALWAYS "belt up", no, I do ocassionally forget. If I'm driving, it's ALWAYS on (I'm anal about that). If I'm NOT driving, I will usually pack up first, with the pack being on before we roll, or very shortly after. Then the belt goes on.
    Yeah, I've seen what happens when people don't wear their belts and think "That will NEVER happen to me"! Personally, I want to wake up the next morning.

Just some food for thought for all.....

Check your Workers Comp laws, and the rules of the Insurance companies and I think the answers to all your questions and personal positions will become crystal clear...

Most insurance companies and worker comp can and will reduce your benefits if you are injured while not using what ever restraint system is in place on your vehicle..

A reduction of 20% or more, I don't know abotu most of you but I can't afford to not be able to pay my bills if I am injured.

Thank you all for the replies...

There have been a lot of responses on this topic that give excuses to why we don't wear our seatbelts. Most all are said to be two things...don't have them, or too busy getting equip. I have to agree with most of you on the fact that safety is 100%priority over getting to the fire/rescue.

For those whose excuse is can't afford them... Let me do a lil basic math;

5 seatbelts $30

labor to install $150

5 brothers' full department funeral & death benefits to your family who is now wondering how to pay the mortgage and put food on the table for your kids $1.5million (approx amount of course)

having them installed and being safe to return home to your loved ones... PRICELESS

just something to think about! thank you all for your thoughts... stay safe..buckle up!
    FFJBARRIE<br />MY BROTHERS CALL ME "BOOBARRIE"

I did not read all the post so this may be a repeat but most states do not have seatbelt laws for trucks over a certain wait...in Texas if your truck is over a 3/4 ton you are exmpt from seatbelts...however our Dept SOP requires them at all times...which is actually a cya cause you cant pack and be seated.

Forum Member

"However, on the rig, I only wear my seatbelt to anything not involving donning my SCBA. I'm an adult, and I don't need anybody checking to see whether or not I'm wearing it at work. I take full responsibility for not wearing one under certain circumstances, and would resent being micro-managed by the "Seatbelt Police"!"

Hmmmm, lets do the math, average 200 lb man, another 50-70 lbs of gear give or take, speeds in excess of 60-70 mph. Yes maybe you are an adult and don't want to be micro managed by the "seatbelt police" however as your cab mate, I certainly don't like the odds of you projecting into me during an accident.
    null [ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: LadyCapn ]
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

firefightermatt_69.....

So would the "latter truck" be the one that comes AFTER the engine?
    J/K
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Why has this post gone this long? How many brothers have to become disabled or killed before we learn? Putting on your gear or an airpack isn't more important than your life. It should take you less than a minute to put on your gear. Is that too long to wait before responding. NFPA 1710 doesn't think so. With practice you can put on your pack with your seatbelt on.

Is it as fun, no. I used to ride standing up facing the jumpseat, or in the crosswalk of our Ford C-Series. Since then I grew up and learned that it is not worth the risk.

I find it hard to believe that anyone is running an entire fleet without seatbelts! Every truck made since the middle '70's HAD belts, did someone cut them out to use them to mount equipment? Besides OSHA, if you truck had belts and they have been removed it should not pass a State Safety Inspection. I believe it is also a violation of DOT Regulations for anyone who is an "employee", and that is most of us volunteer or paid, to drive or ride in a vehicle and not be belted. I have always used mine and I have vivid recollection of the day that my department rolled a truck with four guys in it, the truck was a total loss but they are all back on the job! When we arrived on that scene 6 minutes later most of them were climbing out of the truck on their own.
    John C, Captain HJFD

Thread Information