Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Nap time anybody?

Down here we are aloud to take a nap in the afternoon from 1-4pm. I know at my house naps are great since we will usually be up and out several times a night. Does anybody else do it and how do you feel about it? Especially from a safety standpoint.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

We can take naps pretty much whenever we want, as long as there isn't work to be done. It is not uncommon for our company to run most of our calls late. Last night we ran all of our calls after 1600! On saturdays and sundays, it is fair game.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

We used to have a 1400 alarm check that was understood to mean "end of nap time". Our "new" chief wasn't aware of what everyone was doing ...so we no longer have the alarm check and lunch is from 1130-1330; most everyone still kicks back after chow, it's just "unofficial" now. Same as above, weekends are free. Even though some stations are downright slow (30 runs a month or less), I've always appreciated the fact that a well-rested FF is a well-prepared FF. Aside from lunch, it is considered work day from 0800-1700 ...so when everyone else is done for the day we're still at work and chances are if not working all night then up and down 3-4-5 times; sure some of slower stations abuse or over-use the privilege but I still think it's valuable. I've found it tough to convince even my wife though, that we don't "sleep all day". Been thinking about calling her next time I'm asleep for 30 minutes and then up rest of night...

ps-Boothby, if ya run across BC(?) Tom Seever tell him Lee said "Hey!" and "How's the karaoke?"

[This message has been edited by Ledbelly (edited November 04, 1999).]

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my department if you are stationed "downtown" at the main station where the Chief officers live you can only catch a nap in your lunch hour. Our "workday" consists of a 8-4pm period where we are to devote our time to "division goals." What this means is, we work a 24 hour shift with all the training, inspections and maintenance to occur during the 8-4pm day.

If you are stationed at the "out station" you can nap all you want after the daily chores are completed. As long as your shift commander hasn't scheduled training, meetings or inspections for your day. Even with a scheduled activity there is time to catch a nap.

I agree that a nap is good to allow firefighters the chance to rest, knowing they will be up during the night. I believe I read an interview with the Commissioner of FDNY and he said a nap was good, too.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess we have it pretty easy. On weekdays we can take a nap after 2pm and on the weekends and holadays we can nap after 10am.

We only run about 3 calls a day on average, but like everyone else, when you have a very busy day its nice to take a nap so you can be rested up for the long night. You all have a great day.

Joe
    Local 3905

NAMBONK
    Firehouse.com Guest

Must be nice to have a set time for a nap every shift! LOL... We try to get a wink when we can as long as our duties are finish. On our night shifts we are allowed to hit the sack after 2130hrs. STAY SAFE.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

It is real nice to have a set time for the nap, that way you can plan your day so you will be able to hit the bed at 2 and not 3 LOL. The only problem I have is being the low man on the shift, someone has to stay up and that would be me if everyone else crash's out. Be safe

Joe
    Local 3905

rocketboy192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

The fire chief has left the issue of sleeping during the day up to each shift commander. The fire chief wants people to sleep in the bunkroom and not in chairs or on the sofa because it looks bad. I agree - plus we don't look like a bunch of vollies in a flophouse. The "A" and "B" shift chiefs allow thier guys to sleep whenever the housework is done and nothing is left to do. Our chief, however, refuses to let us nap during the day because he says that we are drawing a paycheck from the FD and that we should give the department a full days' work. What a crock if ****! The shift commander sleeps the entire night 99% of the time so I can se where he doesn't need a nap. Too bad our department didn't have amulances when he was a FF or he might appreciate a nap when he has run his third "sick call" after midnight.

Stay safe, brothers (and sisters)

SEFD117
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Wow! I'm jealous. The only time we can nap on my department is Holidays. Call volume is only about 1,330 runs a year so I guess the Administration feels we aren't busy enough to warrant a nap. Our Chief is just now starting to allow us to sit down before 2100. We are a combination department and the POC shift starts at 1700 so I guess the long work day is so they don't come in and get paid for doing nothing. The full-timers, however, are getting real tired of having a full day and then having to train with the POC's at 1900, 2000 or later. We have 4 drills a month so training time isn't an issue.

Ricky Bodin
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have our nap time from 12 to 3 pm so long as the B.C. or Training Chief does not have the companys scheduled for something. The boys in the outside stations usually get their naps in, but the guys @ #1 stay pretty busy We are suspose to sleep in the bunk rooms, but it is not too unusual to find somebody in the recliners in the tv room, They just learn to lock the station down.

JRESCUE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

We are not allowed a nap or even to sleep our city manager put us on 12 hour shifts! I am glad to see that there is still some repect for the firefighters in your cities. We don't have that privelage!

------------------
    Buckle-Up and Stay Safe!!

jrj918
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my department nap time is anytime after 12:00 noon,but taking a nap means going to your bed. nothing say's that if while reading a book in a recliner or watching TV on a sofa you fall asleep you would get in trouble. Just dont make it obvious that you are trying to nap,but,when the tone goes off and your truck is dispatched you had better be on it without any delays.

Irons1555
    Firehouse.com Guest

We work 10's and 14's are allowed to sleep between 12p-1p on and after 4p on weekdays and after 12p on saturdays. Sundays is pretty much anytime as long as house work is done. If someone isn't feeling good or if someone is working a double(nightshift into a day shift) and had a busy night most officers will allow you to sleep for a while.

Terry McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

boothby, i am just south of you at the southaven fd. we can sleep from 12-5pm if no special duty is scheduled and we are to be up from 5-9pm. weekends are pretty much up to the lt. or b.c. but you can usually get a pretty good nap.

Ed
    Firehouse.com Guest

We can sleep between 11:30 and 13:00 as a gentlemans agreement. We can hit the bunks for the night at 16:00 if we really want to. A few years ago we had a goofy chief that was jealous of the nap and said we couldn't use the dorm to nap at 11:30 so we all slept in the chairs. He realized that we looked better HIDDEN when people came in so he relented. I LOVE my NOONER!!!!

Brian Pratt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Our TV's dont come on untill noon, and then down time is ours to use. We always try to get the house work and training done by then. Our Night shift can hit the hay at 2200.

Be safe

My statements...not EFD

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

We're allowed to nap from 1-3, it's technically against the rules to disturb someone. If we have training or something else then it's out the window. My company (E-8) runs 4200+ runs a year so it's good to get that nap in!

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

You can bet that I will be napping during the daylight hours this friday

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think that everyone can confess to catching a few "zzz's" during a day tour. I know that when I was studying for the last Captain's exam the "zzz's" came easily (must have something to do with textbooks on your lap while sitting in a recliner!) We don't have any particular policy on naps. Once the housework, training and inspections are done, if someone wants to go in the dorm to catch a nap, I don't have a problem with it. I know that if the tones go off, I can count on my crew to be there and ready to roll.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

Dave Grice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Technically we're not aloud to hit the dorm until after 1900, but if you nod off in the recliner you might catch a quick ten minutes but that's about it. It's funny because our training officer is the first one to nod off while we're watching a training video or using overhead transparencies. Great example,huh?! Weekends and holidays we can take naps after noon as long as all housework is done. I think it would be great to get a set schedule to take naps. Maybe that it'll be talked about for our next contract!

Thread Information