Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Got your rope with you?

I carry 50 ft of "OH S___!" rope in my turnouts all the time. How many of you do to and how do you feel about personal rope?

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

I carry 60' of 5mm cord in my turnout jacket that I can us for a dropline, search line, etc. I have a bag with 60' of 8mm rope on the truck that I attach to my SCBA when we are going to be working above 2 stories (or have the potential). I am the only member of my company that does this. I ahve used my drop line many times for various applications, never had to use my 8mm stuff though.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Absolutely!!!
    I carry a 30' length of 1/2" repelling line. We don't have anything larger then a 3 story building. I always think that I have a means for escape, if need w/ angling a halligan across a window frame. It may fall a little short, but a 5-6' fall is better then 30. I fallen 30 before and it doesn't feel to good!!!

Sorry, I'm not a career firefighter. Hope you don't mind the response.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

[This message has been edited by DED1645 (edited November 04, 1999).]

Lt Overmyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I do carry 5mm rope. 30ft. length over all, with 2 carabiners attached. I also carry a 6 ft piece of rope with the ends attached together to make a circle. If I ever come across an unconscious person, I quickly make a gerth for each hand then slide the loop over my air pack. Leaves my hands free and gives me better leaverage when pulling someone unconscious to safety. This works great. Especially if the person is much larger than me. Give it a try.

Stay safe.

FIRE549
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Brett,

Great minds think alike. I carry a 55' section of 3/8" rope with two carabiners and also a 8' section tied in a loop for rescue purposes. I'm not a big guy like you so I need all the help I can get.

NFA Fire Communications Class 1999

------------------

Lt Overmyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

That a boy Mark, must have been from the NFA class of communications 1999, that great minds like ours came together. Stay safe brother

Brett

rocketboy192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I do not carry rope but will from now on. I weight about 175 lbs. Add my turnouts to that and I guess I'd be pushing 225 lbs. easily. What is a good length and diameter to carry?

------------------
    Ronald J. Tocci, II
    Driver/Engineer
    Engine 1 C
    Mandeville, Louisiana
    IAFF Local 3704

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

At the least you should carry a short piece of rope or webbing that you can wrap around a rolled up smoldering mattress. Believe me, it's easier to deal with a big, unwieldy, floppy, awkward, waterlogged marshmallow mattress that's rolled up! Otherwise, it won't fit out any windows, or down the hall, or anything. There are a number of things you can do with a short piece of rope. Some people I know carry the short length in their helmet, above the suspension. (I carry mine in my pocket!)

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

Jeff801
    Firehouse.com Guest

I carry 1-10' backspiced rope for mattress fires, 1-20' webbing, 50' 5mm bailout bag in my pants pocket w/beaner, short section of utility cord. (...AND 2 flashlights- proud of that).

Have trained with the my bailout bag!

[This message has been edited by Jeff801 (edited November 17, 1999).]

Thread Information