Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    4watters
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Transporting patients

Does your department transport patients on 911 calls?
    If your department transports what type of unit is used?What is your opinion of that unit?
    Do you think it is a positive or negative for your citizens?
    What is the general concensus among the department personnel concerning the fire department providing transport on 911 calls?

HHoffman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We run a BLS Ambulance out of our station. At this time all new people must be an EMT. Most of the guys here look at it as part of the job of a firefighter. I see it as one more service that we do as well or better then anyone else.

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

IF YOUR NOT TRANSPORTING ALS & BLS PT'S. TO THE HOSPITAL , YOU ARE NOT WITH THE PROGRAM. IN THE 80'S HAZ-MAT WAS THE THING TO DO, EARLY & MID 90'S CONFINED SPACE WAS A HIT. NOW IT'S ALL THAT PLUS FIREFIGHTER PARAMEDICS WHO TRANSPORT OUT OF A 1 TIERED MUNICIPAL BASED FIRE RESCUE SYSTEM........
    WE USE FREIGHTLINER CABS WITH MEDIC MASTER BOXES , TRUCKS ARE BIG & LOUD. WE GET RESPECT ON THE ROADS NOW.......

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

We transport using the Type III(I think? Ford/Chevy chassis with a box on it). I'm not familiar with any other chassis around here.... The Type III's work Ok for us. Newer ones we're getting have the cot "centered" in back so you can work both sides of pt. (I like that) It's gotta be positive for the citizens; the only private services here only do non-emergency transfers. Believe our department started carrying EMS in 76; there's not too many left that started before that so it's the only thing that most of us have known. Some guys are real gungho about the box and some aren't, so it all gets handled.

Thread Information