Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Ed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question R-U getting LARGER???

On a "lighter" note, how many of you have gained weight since you were hired full time. When I was in the hunt for a full time position I was in the best shape of my life and was hired on at 175lbs. Almost 10 years later I have to say I'm in worse shape and I am almost embarassed to say I weigh 219lbs. Mayby I can start a business and rent uniforms to newbies?
    How big did you get?
    I am making a New Years resolution to get under 190 by my anniversary in June.

[This message has been edited by Ed (edited December 23, 1999).]

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Ed - I gained weight, but that was mainly due to weight lifting and physical fitness. I did put on about 5 lbs of fat this last year, though. I was stationed at our #2 station and we don't have the facilities or the room to really get in a workout. Overall I gained 20lbs since my hire date, but 15 pounds was all muscle!

mikey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Don't feel too bad Ed, 11 years ago when I hired on I weighed a skinny 165 lbs. About 3 years ago I was at my heaviest, which was 235 lbs. All fat. Since then I went down to 180, and am now at 185 due to muscle growth.

Good luck on your resolution, it may take some extra hard work in the fitness room, but it is well worth it.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think it is inevitable that you will gain a few pounds, some of the best chefs work in the firehouse. I was 180 when I got on and I did okay. I gained 10 pounds in the first two years, but a lot of that was muscle from working out. A bunch of us firefighters used to get together and play basketball on Wednesday nights and one night I broke some bones in my foot coming down from an attempted rebound. Six weeks in a cast and I gained 20 pounds. After 18 years on the job and a few more injuries, I fluctuate between 200 and 220, depending on the season (between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's closer to 220!). The resolution for Y2K is to try and get back to 190. Good luck and let me know how you're doing!

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited December 23, 1999).]

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

i was also in the best shape when i got hired. 200 lbs. , 9 years later back up to 250. i used to be proud to have good stamina for a fat guy , but this year i noticed i cant recover as quick as i used to! I HOPE 2000 WILL BE THE YEAR I GET BACK IN SHAPE!!!!!

Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Prior to becoming a firefignther I was a 165 lbs triathlete and competitive distance runner! I now weight 220lbs and I am definatly in the worse shape of my life. My new years resolution isn't to become the athlete I used to be, but rather to drop my weight and get back into cardiovascular shape.

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

I weighed about 190 when I was hired. Now I weigh about 200, but my station has a treadmill and I run a couple miles each shift. Good cardio workout, plus kills time during those slow periods!

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

When I was hired in May of 1987 I was about 194 lb., I'm 5"11 48 years old. At the docters office last week I tipped in at 214 lb. the most I ever weighed! No excuse here we have a nice gym in our station but I don't use it and the dept. dosen't make us, wish they did! After reading about everyone else I don't feel to bad............LOL

Stay safe

Charlie
    Local #319

Lt Overmyer
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I was hired on I weighed in at 145lbs. I got into weight lifting. I bloomed with muscle weight of 190 lbs. Now after being on 14yrs and being moved to a station house with very little equipment I have moved to 230lbs. My resolution is to get below 200lbs before my birthday in July..... Good luck to you all.....LOL

Be safe, stay safe.......

Lt. Brett J Overmyer
    Carmel Fire Depart.
    Carmel, IN.

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I took the first steps to my goal of 190 pounds for Y2K and went to the headquarters to work out in the fitness room. I did okay, lifting weights and doing one of the programs on the treadmill but afterwards I felt like I got hit by a truck!

One of our residents just donated a nordic track to my station, so I'm going to try that out tommorow!

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Was hired in 1992 at 170 lbs. As of this afternoon, I am 205 lbs. A lot of the weight is due to working out in the firehouse with the brothers, but I will give some credit to the good eating also. I am still in good shape and look forward to working out every shift in the firehouse(although it might be interrupted)

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I know that this is an old topic, but an important one...how's everyone doing with their fitness programs?

I got a shock when I went in for my yearly physical...when I got on the scale for the weigh in, it said that I weighed 230 pounds !

My doctor then came in for the exam and she reminded me that she wanted me to drop at least 10 pounds at my last physical when I was weighing in at 210...now I was 20 pounds heavier. I had no energy, my uniforms were strting to get snug and my turnouts were not as comfortable as they could be. Right then and there I made a committment to get fit!

I started eating healthy, staying away from high fat foods, fried foods and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I'm not counting calories, just limiting myself to a portion no larger than my fist. I also started working out at least 3 times a week and got into walking more. I bought myself a new mountain bike and ride it on a regular basis.

I also bought a book for inspiration. The title is "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. It has a program you can follow and true life success stories.

I'm proud to say that since April 2nd, 2000 I have lost 37 pounds! My energy level is way up and I have never felt better. I am just three pounds from my original goal and now I am shooting for the weight I was at when I got appointed in 1981...180 pounds. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in October...boy is she in for a surprise!

Keep us informed on how you are doing...we can be our own support network!

------------------
    We boldly go where no one else dares...
    take care and stay safe
    Lt. Gonzo

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hmmmm, I gained 8 pounds in the past 18 years. I guess our cooks aren't very good.

Thoe1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Getting bigger everyday

http://www.military.com/HomePage/Uni...page_id=701887

------------------
    Your doing it right if your doing it
    FOR HIM !!!
    http://www.theultimatefirehouse.com
    Http://clik.to/thoe1/
    http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitCreatedPage/0,11003,701887,00.html?home_pa ge_id=701887

RSQLT43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Congratulations Gonzo, keep up the good work, Im sure you will make your goal very soon.

This should be an inspiration to all of us,I hope that other firefighters see this and are inspired do get off their *** and get in shape, and then maybe we can get the deaths of firefighters from heart attacks to 0.

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Gonzo, do you realize that you are directly responsible for the demise of Ben and Jerrys as a New England owned company??

Seriously, great job.

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

good job Gonzo! keep up the good work

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not sure if I'm getting bigger, or are my turn-outs shrinking?

Be Safe
    Dan

Thread Information