Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Time for fitness training.

Does your department allow you time when you are on duty to work out? We can, but we have to go to HQ to use the fitness room.

Some of the guys jog and walk around the station area and carry a portable with them.

A resident just donated a Nordic Track to my station, I'm sure it will get some use.
    Just wondering how you do it at your FD...

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited January 03, 2000).]

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept has weight and exercise equipment with the understanding that it is to be used when we are off duty. We have tried to do it while on duty, but the administration did not support it. I think the exact comment was "Not on my time you wont". With NFPA 1500 maybe that will change sometime. I think many of the guys would be more willing to work out if it was allowed while on duty.

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

HEY LU , WE HAVE DECENT WORK OUT EQUIPMENT. PROBLEM FOR ME IS FINDING TIME , THEN FINDING ENERGY WHEN YOU DO GET A BREAK FROM CALLS TO GO WORK OUT. IAFF HAS A NEW WELLNESS/FITNESS PROGRAM THEY ARE PROMOTING.
    I WOULD BE HAPPY IF I COULD JUST GO OUT OF SERVICE OR LAST CALL FOR 1 HR. ENOUGH TIME TO GET A GOOD SWEAT GOING & TIME TO SHOWER OFF. BE SAFE , HAPPY NEW YEAR......

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Manpower permitting - you can take 2 hours for "Physical Fitness Training." What's nice is we can work out at the community fitness center for free (pool, weights, track, sauna) and we have weights, treadmill, bike and stairstepper at the #1 station. #2 station has weights and a treadmill, but the weights are down by the boiler and it's like a hot, wet dungeon down there. Great place to work out if you want heatstroke to go with your day.

If manpower does not permit, you can still lift, run, bike or step...some shifts play basketball at the station and it has been good so far, only one ankle sprain causing lost-time.

I'm suprised by the administration that won't allow FF to work out on duty! It's their time, sure, but you're their firefighter - don't they want you physically fit and ready to do the job?

rescujake
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is in the process of developing a Health & Wellness Program (fitness) that is loosly based on the program that the IAFF came up with at the Redmond Symposium. Because most departments firefighters have "down time" firefighters should have adequate time to work out-paramedics are another story- ours will probably be allowed to go "last-up" in the rotation so they can work out. The key to any successful program is to get firefighters to make a "lifestyle" change- which takes more than an hour a day. The only suggestions I have are to make sure you are working out properly and don't overdue it so that you are out of energy or your muscles are atrophied when the "Big One" comes in later in the day.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department allows and encourages physical training when on duty. All seven(7) stations have decent workout areas which include weights, stationary bikes, treadmills, nordic tracks and more. The physical training is logged into the company journal by the company officer.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

pikepole
    Firehouse.com Guest

We get 2 hrs per shift inclusive of dressing and showering. Our dept. contracted with local gyms (2 stations and the gym closest to each) so we could work out. We also have some equip. at the stations for those days when it's catch as catch can. We are in-service during PT. This makes it a hard some days to actually get a work out especially the medic crews.
    We have found that the gyms like us to come in and work out as it's great PR for them, and we get more exposure to the public. They also feel more confident in our abilities because they know we are in shape to do our jobs. It helps get rid of the checker playing, over-weight image some people still have. Also, as we are required to perform a physical performace test every six months the department has to give us the time to train for this.

Keep it safe

UNION YES

HIangleLT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Hello LT,
    I'd say it's a must in our biz to stay fit! The dept. I was in previously had a weight room at central st. 1. We were allowed to work out any time during the day, as long as we had our duties done. Their equipment comprised olypic wts, smith machine, preacher seat, dip bar, squat rack, dumbells 25-90lbs, lat machine, stationry bike, treadmill and a TV & stereo as an insentive to get the couch potatoes envolved as well.
    The dept I'm currently in has set it as mandatory to get in no less than an hour every day. As well as, a bi-annual PFT ( physical fitness test). If you don't pass you are pulled off line till you do. You could actually lose your job for being a "fat body". Everyone likes the idea and is getting support from the entire staff, line and admin.. I personally love it.
    take care LT.

Lt.Richard Lance
    Escambia County
    Fire Rescue

------------------
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    '99 National Champs #1

JEFF MELLENCAMP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dear Lt. Gonzo
    Our Department does not allow us to work out yet they want us to be in good physical condition. We have asked for work out time and equipment and have been denied the opportunity to do so. We do have some jump ropes, but thats about it.

------------------
    FIREFIGHTER MELLENCAMP IAFF 3987

[This message has been edited by JEFF MELLENCAMP (edited January 17, 2000).]

Dave Grice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lt. Gonzo,
    Before I was hired a couple of years ago, the guys took PT very seriously. A lot of the guys played in different leagues on off days and had a great time. Now with guys working part-time jobs (including myself) we can never get enough to do anything when off duty. Three years ago, we were able to play basketball at our developmental center, but two guys suffered injuries that required time off. So much for that! Then we could play volleyball on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5pm-7pm. It became so popular that more and more guys tried coming in to play on their off days. About three months ago, just as we were really starting to have a great time with it, our chief wrote a memo saying that if we wanted PT it had to be for only only an hour, and was limited to running at our city park or working out in St. 1's basement. But our equipment is pretty limited. We don't know what prompted this but it's as if a balloon has been popped. No one does anything anymore and it is very disappointing. It will probably take one of our more overweight guys to have an MI before things will change back. Those of you that have nice equipment and/or a decent program please take advantage of it.

Pizan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

My department has been wrestling with this issue for 2 years, STILL we CANNOT work out on duty nor will our Chief or Village provide us with the equiptment and time do so. I beleive this is very wrong in our proffession, especially when we go from Lazy-Boy to a roaring house fire in under 4 minutes. Just asking those of you who do not support this issue, How many of our brothers died last year and this year already from heart attacks!?

Thread Information