Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    JEFF MELLENCAMP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Should Sundays Be a down day

Should fire personnel have sundays as a down day. Our department schedule is that we work 8-noon on Saturday and SUNDAY IS USUALLY OUR DAY TO PLAY ON THE COMPUTER WASH OUR OWN TRUCKS AND WATCH FOOTBALL AND GET QUALITY LAY-Z-BOY TIME. Now rumor has it that our board thinks we should be working on those days. I believe they are doing this because we just went union, and we did put this in our contract. I just wanted some input on how things are done at your departments.
    thanks and stay safe

------------------
    FIREFIGHTER MELLENCAMP IAFF 3987

[This message has been edited by JEFF MELLENCAMP (edited January 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JEFF MELLENCAMP (edited January 17, 2000).]

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

We do not normally drill, perform inspections, or do extra house duties on Sundays and holidays. The desk patrol which is manned 0800-1600 during the week is also suspended on Sundays. Normal station cleaning, apparatus and equipment readiness checks are done every day.

------------------
    Mike Gentili

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ditto Mike's post... we have radio check, apparatus and equipment checks and a quick house cleaning. Then the time is pretty much your own....

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE HAVE STATION DUTIES EVERYDAY , SUNDAY IS WAX DAY. WE KNOCK OUT THE TRUCK FIRST THING , CHECK OUT UNITS & COOK A NICE BIG SUNDAY BREAKFAST. REST OF THE DAY IS YOURS , TO DO AS YOU PLEASE...BE SAFE.........

JEFF MELLENCAMP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks guys for your input other than checking your trucks and getting the daily cleaning done you believe the day should be a relaxed day.
    thank you

------------------
    FIREFIGHTER MELLENCAMP IAFF 3987

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Sundays and holidays at the MFD are pretty much like the other posts on this thread, after the radio test, truck check and housework, the rest of the day is ours.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

Of course, Sunday as a down day is fine. Unless you are Jewish or Hindu. Then your "down" day is Saturday or Friday.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sunday is our only "down" day. After the morning truck checks and station cleaning our only chore is to complete a comprehensive SCBA, air cascade and air truck check. We thoroughly check each pack like it was just put into service, drain any sediment or moisture from the cascade's air bottles and fill up the air truck and the cascade system. This ensures the SCBA's on trucks that aren't used during the week get a good look over and are operationally ready. It's also a good way to catch a slow leak in a cylinder.

After the air bottles, the day is yours.

Pizan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Clean the station, check the rigs, check the exterior, and then kick back and relax! Just about every other person is relaxing on a Sunday why shouldn't America's Bravest?

firedan69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

sunday is our down day, we wash the bay windows, do regular truck checks and house duties, then its cave time!!!!

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a half workday on Saturday - done at noon, and a down day on Sunday. Trucks and equipment still get checked, radios too, but only the housework that needs done (take out trash, etc.) is done. No drills, no busywork, no window-washing or non-essential maintenance.

Now, if we can just get them to quit giving us calls ...

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

Ed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We have Saturdays, Sundays and holidays as off days meaning that we do vehicle checks and station housework then the rest of the day is free time. Its not written anywhere and hopefully we can keep it.

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Atlanta Everyday is pretty much up to the company officers.I use Sundays to do are most active drills,Iam aloud to take the company out of service and use the drill yard to conduct training.The run volume is usually lighter and I try to have the guys back in the station by 1300.They seem to respond to this and have never complained(too much).I always tell the few guys I have had that did moan and groan ,you get paid the same amount on sundays that you do on mondays.I also always give them a down day the shift after.
    Lt.Todd Edwards/AFD

Thread Information