Thread: RAISES

JEFF MELLENCAMP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question RAISES

Our Chief sat down with us and went over the budget. As we went from page to page I saw Lawyer fees $25,000 I was amazed that the board is unwilling to give us a 3% raise yet they are willing to spend $25,000 of the public tax dollars on a lawyer just because we went union. We are paid 17,000-19,500 starting salary. I believe that the tax money should be spent on getting our pay where it should be. I was hoping to hear what percentage of the your budgets go to payroll.
    thanks

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department operates out of general funds assigned to the fire budget, in other words, no specific levies for fire or EMS. We have an approximately $3.5million budget, of that approximately $3.2million goes to salaries and benefits. 91% of our budget pays our salaries and provides the benefits (Pension, Medical, Dental, Eye.)

What's interesting is the department's "operating" budget is only $300,000. It gets stretched pretty thin. Any large purchases are "capital improvements" and are purchased separately from the FD budget, such as our new pumper coming in April.

I almost forgot - we got a 4% raise this year. We negotiated the raise in our last contract. Do you have a contract with the city?

[This message has been edited by benson911 (edited January 18, 2000).]

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department has a budget of about $9.4 million. Almost the whole thing is dedicated to salaries and benefits. The operating budget is around $400,000.

Signed a 5 year contract last year worth 18.25%.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@injersey.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonne.net/bfd/

Thread Information